Time to do a v8 swap. What motor? Dodge 318/360 or a Ford 302? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time to do a v8 swap. What motor? Dodge 318/360 or a Ford 302?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Time to do a v8 swap. What motor? Dodge 318/360 or a Ford 302?

My tired 4.2 needs to go. I have terrible blow by, it smokes, leaks from the rear main and valve cover... its just a mess over all and it isn't worth it to me to try and save. Somehow it does just keep going though . I have been wanting to do a V8 swap for the past year or so and haven't had the time or money. I finally decided I need to just dive in and start piecing everything together for a v8 swap. I have been researching v8 swaps and can't decided on what to to. It's probably going to be a long process for me because I will have to buy the parts and piece everything together over time. Here is where I am so far:

1. Do I go fuel injected or carbed? I really want to do fuel injection and am leaning towards this. I'm not worried about figuring out the wiring for it. However, doing a carb swap seems like it will be much easier and cheaper. If it is going to be a significant cost difference I will just go the carb route.

2. If I go fuel injected what do I have to do to get my guages to work? In particular, my speedo is the old style mechanical and not a vss style.

3. I'm torn between the 302 and the 318 (or even a 360). I want to keep my ax-15 if possible to save some money and know I can get a bell housing off a a dakota if I go the 318 route. If I go the 302 route I know I can buy an adapter from novak or advance adaptors.

4. I'm kind of leaning towards a 318 if I can find one in a donor vehicle but I'm not familiar with those motors. What year motors should I look for if I go with a 318/360??

4. What should I expect to spend on a radiator? I probably won't worry about an electrical fan and try to keep the stock fan if possible. It sounds like I should expect to spend around $300 for a new radiator, but are there any radiators that I could keep from donor vehicle and adapt it to fit? I know it all depends on what motor I get, I'm just trying to figure out what I

Just like everyone else I'm trying to do this on a budget. I know I need to figure out what engine I want to put in before I can really get started with everything, so thats why I am asking for your help/opinions. I am not planning on buying a motor and rebuilding it. I just plan to find a good used, stock motor from a donor to put in.

I have been searching like crazy and am reading about other swaps from all over, so please don't just tell me to do a search. Any help is appreciated!

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Find an older Dakota R/T. 360, fuel injected and were available with a 5 speed trans. You get everythjng in 1 shot! I am pretty sure you can ge any Ram 1500/2500 with a 5.9/5 speed and use that bell housing as long as its a gas motor. I might be wrong.

Your speedo is mechanical, it is run off of your transfer case. Keep your case, keep your speedo the way it is. Change the case, you will have to change to the VSS, which isn't all that hard. Dakota digital and VDO both make kits.
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Jones-Maryland
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I understand your dilemma. I started down the dodge road, I thought it might be easier since it is Chrysler, but wiring still needs to be done. I even picked up a Dakota bell housing. I went with a ford because I wanted the T19 fully synchronized trans. I did not want to chance the AX15 being near its limits with a 351, maybe, maybe not. Also there is a lot more after market support for Ford EFIs.

The other decision was OBDI (pre 95) or OBDII. I picked up a 95 351W the last year of OBDI, I don't know if it is easier to wire the OBDI but that is what I am using. Will have to get the novak adapter for the T19 to NP231. Also there are several companies that make engine brackets for the Ford. My decision of 302 or 351, well the old adage "there is no replacement for displacement".

I am with you on the radiator. There must be a cheaper solution than $500 for the novak radiator. If someone know this answer please chime in.

Until I get the setup mocked up in the jeep I won't know if I will have to change from the 351W truck intake to a car intake. The car intake is a lower profile but lose the longer runners of the truck intake, longer is torque. BC Bronco's makes an adapter for the truck lower to car upper that is still lower profile than the truck one.

If you go the Ford EFI route you also need to make a decision of Speed Density or Mass Air Flow EFI system. Go to Oldtimefuelinjection to get smart on the pros/cons/limitations of each.
Jones-Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Find an older Dakota R/T. 360, fuel injected and were available with a 5 speed trans. You get everythjng in 1 shot! I am pretty sure you can ge any Ram 1500/2500 with a 5.9/5 speed and use that bell housing as long as its a gas motor. I might be wrong.

Your speedo is mechanical, it is run off of your transfer case. Keep your case, keep your speedo the way it is. Change the case, you will have to change to the VSS, which isn't all that hard. Dakota digital and VDO both make kits.
How old is "older"? I would love to be able to find a whole donor vehicle like that.

Now that I think about it.. the speedo question was a dumb question. I put an sye on my yj a little while back and I already knew that! I'm hoping to be able to keep my trans and transfer case for now since they are both in great shape.
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones-Maryland View Post
I understand your dilemma. I started down the dodge road, I thought it might be easier since it is Chrysler, but wiring still needs to be done. I even picked up a Dakota bell housing. I went with a ford because I wanted the T19 fully synchronized trans. I did not want to chance the AX15 being near its limits with a 351, maybe, maybe not. Also there is a lot more after market support for Ford EFIs.

The other decision was OBDI (pre 95) or OBDII. I picked up a 95 351W the last year of OBDI, I don't know if it is easier to wire the OBDI but that is what I am using. Will have to get the novak adapter for the T19 to NP231. Also there are several companies that make engine brackets for the Ford. My decision of 302 or 351, well the old adage "there is no replacement for displacement".

I am with you on the radiator. There must be a cheaper solution than $500 for the novak radiator. If someone know this answer please chime in.

Until I get the setup mocked up in the jeep I won't know if I will have to change from the 351W truck intake to a car intake. The car intake is a lower profile but lose the longer runners of the truck intake, longer is torque. BC Bronco's makes an adapter for the truck lower to car upper that is still lower profile than the truck one.

If you go the Ford EFI route you also need to make a decision of Speed Density or Mass Air Flow EFI system. Go to Oldtimefuelinjection to get smart on the pros/cons/limitations of each.
It seems like OBDI would be easier to work with. I am more familiar with ford motors so thats part of the reason why I am considering the 302. I would go with a mass air motor. Ideally I would want to get a HO 302 out of a 89 to 93 foxbody. I've been searching around but its hard to find exactly what I want.

At this point I think I will get whatever motor I can find the best deal on between the 302, 318, 360.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a mopar 360 la engine and put my own efi on using a standalone megasquirt ecu. I love the sound and power...though building them for power costs the most vs ford or chevy.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Without a doubt, the Magnum is the easiest IMO.
Without a doubt, if I were to do it again and had the money, I would do a 5.3 or 6 liter Chevy.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am going with a dodge 318 out of a 99 Ram. I am going with a carb to start out and get the mechanical bugs worked out then OBDII EFI later. I like the mopar v8 due to the only aftermarket parts that I am using are headers (could use pre magnum manifolds) and the motor mounts.
img_20130606_230801_799.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Without a doubt, the Magnum is the easiest IMO.
Without a doubt, if I were to do it again and had the money, I would do a 5.3 or 6 liter Chevy.
I built a stroker small block mopar and it was very expensive. I agree with you on running a 6.0, especially an all aluminum 6.0. Pure win right there! There are wirkng kits that require a 3 wire hookup to be turnkey.

I will always be a Mopar fan, but in some instances they aren't financially the best choice. Its totally up to the OP as to what he wants. Hell, a stock 440 would do amazing in a jeep if it wasn't so damned big!
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
It seems like OBDI would be easier to work with. I am more familiar with ford motors so thats part of the reason why I am considering the 302. I would go with a mass air motor. Ideally I would want to get a HO 302 out of a 89 to 93 foxbody. I've been searching around but its hard to find exactly what I want.

At this point I think I will get whatever motor I can find the best deal on between the 302, 318, 360.
The Lincoln mark vii had a 5.0 ho. Same one that the mustang had on the inside, but with speed density. The conversion to mass air is straight forward and relatively cheap. At least cheaper. Where I live, I can buy an entire Lincoln as a donor car costs about the same as a 5.0 ho pulled from a mustang. Search speed density to mass air swap.
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicmoto View Post
The Lincoln mark vii had a 5.0 ho. Same one that the mustang had on the inside, but with speed density. The conversion to mass air is straight forward and relatively cheap. At least cheaper. Where I live, I can buy an entire Lincoln as a donor car costs about the same as a 5.0 ho pulled from a mustang. Search speed density to mass air swap.
Will do. I am going to look at a mustang motor today that I can hear run. Hopefully its a good one since its only about 15 mins from my house.
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyarea View Post
I am going with a dodge 318 out of a 99 Ram. I am going with a carb to start out and get the mechanical bugs worked out then OBDII EFI later. I like the mopar v8 due to the only aftermarket parts that I am using are headers (could use pre magnum manifolds) and the motor mounts.
Looks like a great build! What carb are you going with?
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Specter1911
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I vote the 302. Only because I like Fords. EFI will run better on any steep inclines you find yourself on.
Specter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^what he said!
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am a gm motor fan so for me it would be my choice. You can find full donor vehicles pretty cheap and might not have to source as many seperate parts.

With that said I have had a few 302 s and they are great motors. I also like the Lincoln idea. I had a 88 mark 7. The motor was a beast. It never gave me issues. Lincoln's can be had cheap too because the mark7 was plauged by electrical issues and air susp problems none of which affect the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.