Time to ask, Fuel Pump/Electric issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time to ask, Fuel Pump/Electric issue

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing the Quart Crate...

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
I have owned several 4.3s, They are different animals than the jeep FI engines. Most of the no start problems are distributor related.

I doubt the fuel pump relay is in the PDC, likely used a GM underhood harness and there are 2 black relays on a bracket located on the driver side firewall.

I have the factory service manual for 88 and 94, so if the engine is either, I probably have schematics for that engine.
Thanks for helping the OP to completely ignore my stupidity.

You were right Mark05059!

I definitely had a brain fart for missing the whole 4.3 engine swap thing. Then I figured there was some harness melding of some sort. That just doesn't make much sense since the 4.3 could be bought with the engine harness....duh!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have owned several 4.3s, They are different animals than the jeep FI engines. Most of the no start problems are distributor related.

I doubt the fuel pump relay is in the PDC, likely used a GM underhood harness and there are 2 black relays on a bracket located on the driver side firewall.

I have the factory service manual for 88 and 94, so if the engine is either, I probably have schematics for that engine.
I was just re-reading this whole thread. If the OP hot wires the fuel pump this YJ starts up and runs. I think the problem is simple. The wire that goes from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump to power it up is broken. That can be the ONLY possibility don't you think??

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
I was just re-reading this whole thread. If the OP hot wires the fuel pump this YJ starts up and runs. I think the problem is simple. The wire that goes from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump to power it up is broken. That can be the ONLY possibility don't you think??
I agree the power from the fuse panel is not making it to the pump. Has he identified the correct fuel pump relay?

If so, then you are spot on if his test light lights when he turns on the ignition and the test light is on the fuel pump out circuit on his FP relay.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
Gavlin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Getting back to work on this today have not had any time over the last few days. The 4.3 is from a 1993 blazer I was told have not pulled the numbers off the engine to verify that though. I stuck a switch hot with key on in the glove box next to the hidden kill switch to jump the fuel pump for now so I can atleast move it around for now. I am going to back trace the power wire from the fuel pump today and see what I find. I will look for a diff relay location I did not see any others under the hood. I know there are a few near the firewall under the dash for the KC lights maybe near them I will see.

thanks ya'll
Gavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Gavlin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree the power from the fuse panel is not making it to the pump. Has he identified the correct fuel pump relay?

If so, then you are spot on if his test light lights when he turns on the ignition and the test light is on the fuel pump out circuit on his FP relay.
Well Thank ya'll Fuel pump issue solved turns out the relay was under the dash next to the 4.3 ECU there was a relay actually labeled with duck tape Fuel Relay there was two Grey wires coming out 87 one was broken.

Reconnected it and starts right up. Fuel gauge and blinkers still not working and they were before this all started. I am thinking may have just fried the gauge when jumping the pump off the battery the first time. Or maybe the float is stuck gonna play with it more.

Guessing the blinkers is just by chance a diff issue that happened to happen at same time. Gonna mess with blinkers next if I cant figure them out should I start a new thread or just continue on this one?

anyways thanks again ya'll

P.S. anyone have a wire diagram well just for the 2 harness's coming off the ECU on a 93 Blazer. looks like this if that helps.

picecu.jpg
Gavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavlin View Post
Well Thank ya'll Fuel pump issue solved turns out the relay was under the dash next to the 4.3 ECU there was a relay actually labeled with duck tape Fuel Relay there was two Grey wires coming out 87 one was broken.

Reconnected it and starts right up. Fuel gauge and blinkers still not working and they were before this all started. I am thinking may have just fried the gauge when jumping the pump off the battery the first time. Or maybe the float is stuck gonna play with it more.

Guessing the blinkers is just by chance a diff issue that happened to happen at same time. Gonna mess with blinkers next if I cant figure them out should I start a new thread or just continue on this one?

anyways thanks again ya'll

P.S. anyone have a wire diagram well just for the 2 harness's coming off the ECU on a 93 Blazer. looks like this if that helps.

Attachment 630160
No wonder it was so darn hard to find!!!!

I'll bet that you will never forget this little factoid!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.