Tie rod flip v/s dro pitman arm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tie rod flip v/s dro pitman arm?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tie rod flip v/s dro pitman arm?

I recently installed bastard packs on my 89 yj, and had seen that most are not installing a drop pitman arm. Personally I think that something is needed to get the drag link a little more level because i have a good bit of bump steer.

So my question is if a tie rod flip kit would help? From looking at the front end it looks as if I would gain not only ground clearance but also it would help level out the drag link.

Last edited by booboowv77; 03-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: reworded
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Most guys with the tie rod flip use a stock pitman arm because a dropped would interfere with the tie rod when the drivers side suspension is compressed. I know that would be the case for me because my dropped pitman arm is already having a slight interference with the tie rod under full stuff on the drivers side.

The track bar doesn't having anything to do with the steering. I think you're referring to the drag link which, for our jeeps, connects the pitman arm to the tie rod. On other axles they attach to the knuckle.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The track bar doesn't having anything to do with the steering. I think you're referring to the drag link which, for our jeeps, connects the pitman arm to the tie rod. On other axles they attach to the knuckle.
You would be correct, I did mean the Drag link. The track bar already went to the scrap yard haha!
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboowv77 View Post
You would be correct, I did mean the Drag link. The track bar already went to the scrap yard haha!
That's what I like to hear

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody ever done the Tie rod flip? How did it work out for you?
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Before

After

This was with the goferit inserts. No dropped pitman. Also has the Rustys steering conversion on it. but you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anybody ever done the Tie rod flip? How did it work out for you?
The tie rod flip is great and anyone with any lift should do it. It gets that bar up and out of the way. Just think about how offroading can get logs/rocks wedged down there and how this will get them slightly further from harm's way.

Mine has worked out great. As mentioned, it can be problematic with a dropped pitman arm. I have a dropped pitman arm and do get a slight collision when I flex out my suspension. It isn't anything bad.

I have just over 5" of suspension lift so dropped pitman arm and tie rod flip is great. My drag link is fairly level and I don't get any bump steer.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Before

After

This was with the goferit inserts. No dropped pitman. Also has the Rustys steering conversion on it. but you get the idea.
Thanks that was what I was looking for. The pics showed me exactly what I needed. Mine is about the same as your before pic. I wasn't going to run both Flip and drop Pitman, I was just trying to figure the best way and I figured would help kill 2 birds (Tie rod Higher and Drag link closer to level) If anyone else has any thoughts on this please let me know. Thanks
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can see where the drop pitman could cause issues after a TR flip. It easily gave me at least 2 additional inches of clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If anyone else has any thoughts on this please let me know. Thanks
A great mod. It just might not fit with factory rims because of the backspacing. But most have ditched the rims in favor of better spacing, better/ more suitable rims to accommodate larger tires, so the rim.clearance on the inside is not an issue mostly.
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any threads or links on doing the tie rod flip? Getting a lot of junk when i search.
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.