Tie rod flip and stretch Pitman arm interference - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tie rod flip and stretch Pitman arm interference

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #61
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Revieving this beacuase I also have the TRE flip with some binding My question is the 80`s 2WD w/power steering Pitman arm just a bolt on or does it have to be modified ? Thanks for any input !

wayno32m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #62
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno32m View Post
Revieving this beacuase I also have the TRE flip with some binding My question is the 80`s 2WD w/power steering Pitman arm just a bolt on or does it have to be modified ? Thanks for any input !
I believe you have to cut one of the clocking keys with a groove to clock it properly. I actually had the same problem and bought this billet steel arm used in Nascar or something like that. I put a taper on the drag link hole (very slight) and it is only 5" eye to eye with a 1/2" of drop.

Click here for pic:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...6/index47.html

I lost turning radius and eventually fixed it proper with a bracket from Parts Mike and a TJ pitman arm (see link above).

If you want the billet pitman arm let me know. I don't have a use for it anymore.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #63
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As Louie said you do to have file out the key ways in the pitman arm which is very simple with some patience and a hack saw. I have been running the Ford ranger arm for about 6 months now and it works ok. The problem with the ranger arm is the tre taper is bigger than the YJ tre so I drilled it out to 3/4 and used a goferit insert and fully welded it in. I would have preferred to do what Lou did and get a steering box relocating bracket and move my box forward an inch. With all that said I really don't regret the ranger arm, but like the relocation bracket better. If you want to know how to file the keyways out I can take some pics for an illustration of sorts. Let me know
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #64
comeoutswingin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I ran into this problem when I put a HP44 in my Yj SUA with shackle reversal. My interference was MUCH worse than the ones pictured here, but I also have my front end stretched at the spring perches 1".

I did not want to lose turning radius with a shorter pitman arm and I was concered that I wouldnt get exactly correct steering even with it.

The available brackets to move your steering box out only do 1" which wasnt enough either.

My solution was to build a plate that a I burned out on my plasma table out of 1/2" which allowed for a 2.25" move forward, but also rotated the box downward a little bit to take the bind out of the tie rod ends. It also moved the steering box over to the passenger side 1".

This plate bolts on to the stock mount, and requires NO drilling or sleeving of the frame. It did however, require me to cut the front cross member out and replace it with a 2x3 one that was flush with the front of the frame rails.

I've been thinking about selling it as a kit, or just the plate itself, but I don't know if theres enough interest, but it seems alot of people are running into this issue...

I'll try to get some pictures of the plate on my jeep later so it might give someone some ideas on fixing this problem.
comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #65
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeoutswingin View Post
I ran into this problem when I put a HP44 in my Yj SUA with shackle reversal. My interference was MUCH worse than the ones pictured here, but I also have my front end stretched at the spring perches 1".

I did not want to lose turning radius with a shorter pitman arm and I was concered that I wouldnt get exactly correct steering even with it.

The available brackets to move your steering box out only do 1" which wasnt enough either.

My solution was to build a plate that a I burned out on my plasma table out of 1/2" which allowed for a 2.25" move forward, but also rotated the box downward a little bit to take the bind out of the tie rod ends. It also moved the steering box over to the passenger side 1".

This plate bolts on to the stock mount, and requires NO drilling or sleeving of the frame. It did however, require me to cut the front cross member out and replace it with a 2x3 one that was flush with the front of the frame rails.

I've been thinking about selling it as a kit, or just the plate itself, but I don't know if theres enough interest, but it seems alot of people are running into this issue...

I'll try to get some pictures of the plate on my jeep later so it might give someone some ideas on fixing this problem.
Please do I would like to see this myself, and how much $$$ for your kit.
Thanks.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #66
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I believe you have to cut one of the clocking keys with a groove to clock it properly. I actually had the same problem and bought this billet steel arm used in Nascar or something like that. I put a taper on the drag link hole (very slight) and it is only 5" eye to eye with a 1/2" of drop.

Click here for pic:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...6/index47.html

I lost turning radius and eventually fixed it proper with a bracket from Parts Mike and a TJ pitman arm (see link above).

If you want the billet pitman arm let me know. I don't have a use for it anymore.
Yes I`m interrested in the billet arm shipped to 01331,was the loss of turning radius huge ?
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #67
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is my clearence with the flip kit, Partsmike kit, Durango Box and a factory pitman arm...

Its good clearence..
steering1.jpg   shocks1.jpg  
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #68
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another choice of pitman arms is the Saginaw Pitman arm from Sam's 4x4 store http://sams4x4store.com/specialty.htm .
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #69
comeoutswingin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Please do I would like to see this myself, and how much $$$ for your kit.
Thanks.
Here are some pictures I took of my bracket on my jeep this morning. As you can see I still have room to move my axle forward a little bit more, and its already pushed forward 1" at the spring perches. It's also shackle reversal so i think its a little further forward from that also.

My bracket bolts on to the existing bracket and moves the box 2.25" foward and also rotates it down.

If people were interested in my bracket I would sell the bracket alone for $90 + Shipping. Hardware would be extra, but you're only talking a few bolts, washers and lock nuts.

Keep in mind that my bracket does require cutting of the front crossmember and replacing it with 2x3 tubing. It also requires you fill the old crossmembers holes in the frame to give you a good area to weld the new crossmember to. You will also need to add a bracket for your radiator/grill core support. Depending on the casting of your steering box you may have to grind(More like smooth out) the casting on the steering box, very easy. I can supply everything needed in kit form, but there would have to be alot of interest in these for me to purchase all the steel to really produce these on a production basis as I am only a one man shop and I have a full time job at that.

If anyone is interested in more info, or have questions about this, please PM me.

comeoutswingin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #70
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
Another choice of pitman arms is the Saginaw Pitman arm from Sam's 4x4 store http://sams4x4store.com/specialty.htm .
I`m just asking but earlier in this thread someone said a flat pit man would interfere/hit the frame, it would definatley clear up any binding with the Tie rod though ?
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #71
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
This is my clearence with the flip kit, Partsmike kit, Durango Box and a factory pitman arm...

Its good clearence..
That looks awesome, was that Partsmike Kit just a bolt on mod or is there more fab work to make it all work ?
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #72
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That looks awesome, was that Partsmike Kit just a bolt on mod or is there more fab work to make it all work ?
Bolt on... HEAVY DUTY

Hummer Intake
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #73
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Bolt on... HEAVY DUTY
That seems like the way for me to go THANKS
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #74
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Definaetly unless your a cheap bastard like me and went with a free Ford ranger arm. Ha ha! I will eventually get the parts mike bracket
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #75
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just so you know...I'm assuming you have a body lift, so if you do and use the PM bracket, your steering shaft will be maxed out...

It will still work, LOUIE4 is running his this way.. I had an old steering shaft and used it to extend the outer shaft by 3".

Just an FYI...

Hummer Intake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.