Tie rod flip and stretch Pitman arm interference - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tie rod flip and stretch Pitman arm interference

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #31
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your probably goin to loose a decent degree of turning with that shorter pirman arm. IMO you'd be better off moving the box forward with the parts mike or MORE bracket. Or getting your draglink off the tierod by using a high steer bracket/knuckle or heims.

Unread 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well don't everyone go running to the nearest j yard and get a "manual" ranger pitman arm it won't work!! The splined hole (too small) on the pitman arm won't fit on the sector shaft of the YJ box. Plus the tapered whole for the drag link is too big also. I really wished I could find out what arm ErikJordan used, or what ranger it was off of.??????
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #33
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Well don't everyone go running to the nearest j yard and get a ranger pitman arm it won't work!! The splined hole (too small) on the pitman arm won't fit on the sector shaft of the YJ box. Plus the tapered whole for the drag link is too big also. I really wished I could find out what arm ErikJordan used, or what ranger it was off of.??????
He said he had to file out the keyway. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJordan View Post
Mine is all different now, but it was once a crossover style steering similar to yours.
I did use the Ranger pitman arm. You'll have to file out the keyway to get it to line up properly.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

He said he had to file out the keyway. See below.
Even if I file out the keyway the hole will be too small I would have to respline it and I don't think that is possible. It's only like a 1/16 to small.
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even if I file out the keyway the hole will be too small I would have to respline it and I don't think that is possible. It's only like a 1/16 to small.
Dang.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #36
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'm not giving up after the kids go to bed tonight I will sneak out to the garage and do some brain storming
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
Your probably goin to loose a decent degree of turning with that shorter pirman arm. IMO you'd be better off moving the box forward with the parts mike or MORE bracket. Or getting your draglink off the tierod by using a high steer bracket/knuckle or heims.
I am seriously considering going this route. I understand that my turning radius was going to suffer, but I just figured since the tie rod is now higher up and closer to the drag link connection pointe that it wouldnt affect it much. My other option is to ream out the top of the stock Yj arm to accept the drag link to go on top. Why wouldnt this Work??? Will it bind?? I posted this question in my first post and we havent really discussed this yet.
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The first ranger pitman arm I grabbed worked for me. It was off a late 90's truck. Strange. There was no real loss of turning radius for me as I am on 35's. It went lock to lock and brushed the springs with the tires.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #39
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJordan
The first ranger pitman arm I grabbed worked for me. It was off a late 90's truck. Strange. There was no real loss of turning radius for me as I am on 35's. It went lock to lock and brushed the springs with the tires.
I'm working on getting one from a guy off of pirate he said a '83 ranger 2 wheel drive is what he has and its the same size sector only an inch short like you described. He told me the manual one have a smaller sector shaft on the rangers. We will see when I hear back from him. Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #40
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I have not given up hopes on the ranger arm just yet. My new ranger arm is in the mail and should be here in a few days. I hope this one works its a power steering arm not a manual like I got before. Im getting it from a guy off of Pirate he's just giving it to me all I had to pay for was shipping I cant wait to see if it works. Im planning a trip with my brother-in-laws and father to go to Moab in June. we are going to spend a few days down there and take our dirt bikes and side by side too I got a lot more to to do to the Yj before this trip. Mainly roll cage mods, bumpstops, and my swing out tire carrier. I will post up as soon as I know if the ranger arm works. In the mean time heres a pic to keep you entertained.
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #41
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump!
Trying to chip away at my list before Moab trip and pass the time waiting for my ranger arm to show up in the mail. It should be here tuesday. I made my front shock mounts out of 2"x2"x1/4" wall tubing. new shocks should be here soon so I will wait till they get here to burn them on.

Im also working on some bumpstops.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #42
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have you ruled out moving the steering box ahead an inch? I know it was brought up earlier in the thread, I'm just a little too lazy to check and see if it didn't work in previous posts.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #43
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Have you ruled out moving the steering box ahead an inch? I know it was brought up earlier in the thread, I'm just a little too lazy to check and see if it didn't work in previous posts.
I havent ruled it out yet. Im waiting for my ranger pitman arm to show up and see if I need to move it forward. I may just go with a flat astro arm though. We shall see on tuesday when my package arrives. I may order a Goferit insert for the tie rod also instead of reaming it out.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #44
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I havent ruled it out yet. Im waiting for my ranger pitman arm to show up and see if I need to move it forward. I may just go with a flat astro arm though. We shall see on tuesday when my package arrives. I may order a Goferit insert for the tie rod also instead of reaming it out.
Best of luck! it seems to be pretty frustrating thus far. GoFerit is a great company to do business with, super nice guy! By the way, that number is his cell phone so if you call tomorrow he will likely be on a motorcycle ride if the weather is good in NC. He is from my area so when he saw the area code he thought it was someone he knew and then just chatted from there!

Sorry, Rambling!
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #45
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well placed my order (on sat) with Goferit. Should be here by the end of the week. I need to plan better now I have to wait for that package to show up before I can drive the jeep. Pitman arm will be here Tuesday.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.