Tie rod flip and stretch Pitman arm interference - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tie rod flip and stretch Pitman arm interference

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Just called a local J yard they won't sell me a ranger arm claiming they are not meant to be reused?? Has anybody else ran across this with other j yards??
Nope. I thought the purpose of a junkyard was to buy USED parts?

Weird.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I truer to buy a body and frame and they would not sell them both to me, said it was because it was rebuildable. So bought the body and makesng a cram from scratch.

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I called three other j yards and they said that other place is crazy. They have no problem selling me one for $20 bones. I will get one on Friday and see how it works.
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could just tell them it is for an 'art' project and you already have one (or more) and need another to complete the piece. What should they care anyway?
Since the other JY's are willing to help, the next best thing is to take all of your business elsewhere. Who needs'em?!?
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCustom View Post
You could just tell them it is for an 'art' project and you already have one (or more) and need another to complete the piece. What should they care anyway?
Since the other JY's are willing to help, the next best thing is to take all of your business elsewhere. Who needs'em?!?
Yeah the first place I called is more of a auto parts store that specializes in selling used parts. they wont let you out in their yard even if its to look at a specific part that you want. THEY have to pull it first then you can take a look at it to see if you want it. They also charge about the same price for used as a new part. I dont know why I called them first. This other yard Im going to on friday is pretty cool they still wont let you pull the part yourself. I can go out there and compare and see which one I want, but for $20 bucks for the part Im not complaining about him pulling it for me. Does anyone know if the ranger arm needs to be a 4x4 or can it be 2 wheel drive he says he has both and the year is a '90???? I pmed Erik Jordan about this
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah the first place I called is more of a auto parts store that specializes in selling used parts. they wont let you out in their yard even if its to look at a specific part that you want. THEY have to pull it first then you can take a look at it to see if you want it. They also charge about the same price for used as a new part. I dont know why I called them first. This other yard Im going to on friday is pretty cool they still wont let you pull the part yourself. I can go out there and compare and see which one I want, but for $20 bucks for the part Im not complaining about him pulling it for me. Does anyone know if the ranger arm needs to be a 4x4 or can it be 2 wheel drive he says he has both and the year is a '90???? I pmed Erik Jordan about this
I would suggest you pull it yourself. Take your YJ pitman arm with you and confirm fitment on the Ranger steering box. Compare the two and see if you think it will work for your needs. I am not suggesting the pitman arm for you, I am saying this is what worked for me. Get out there and get dirty.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJordan
I would suggest you pull it yourself. Take your YJ pitman arm with you and confirm fitment on the Ranger steering box. Compare the two and see if you think it will work for your needs. I am not suggesting the pitman arm for you, I am saying this is what worked for me. Get out there and get dirty.
I would love to pull it for myself but they won't allow you too. I can however go and compare mine to it I was just asking for you to narrow it down for me whether it was 4x4 arm or 2 wheel drive. From what I can find on the internet the 2 wheel is a straight arm and the 4x4 has a slight drop. They also say the explorer is the same too??? I guess I will just have to go get dirty and crawl under a few rangers and explorers
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would love to pull it for myself but they won't allow you too. I can however go and compare mine to it I was just asking for you to narrow it down for me whether it was 4x4 arm or 2 wheel drive. From what I can find on the internet the 2 wheel is a straight arm and the 4x4 has a slight drop. They also say the explorer is the same too??? I guess I will just have to go get dirty and crawl under a few rangers and explorers
I am quite sure they are all the same. The first one I got worked, so I have nothing to compare it to.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #24
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Holy chit!! I can't get my YJ pitman arm off. I have bent one puller already. Ive tried most everything lots and lots of heat and been soaking in pb blaster since I started this thread. My father-in-law says they have a heavy duty puller at their shop I can use. Hope it works!!
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20120420_120041.jpg

I love having access to cool tools!!. I just got back from the junk yard the guy was really helpful I must have climbed under every ranger and explorer he had and every arm seemed the same as my YJ one. Then he remembered where he had a '91 ranger 2 wheel drive with "manual" steering. We drove across his yard and sure enough it was what I was looking for. He was just as excited as I was. Afterwards he drove me to his house to show me his yota crawler that he is building up. I think I made a new friend today. Now to find a reamer for the tie rod. Fastenal want $100 bucks for one.
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Got a side shot and a measurement on that pitman arm? Measurement of length and drop?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Awesome. Got a side shot and a measurement on that pitman arm? Measurement of length and drop?
Ask and yea shall recieve. I'm not too sure it will work cause where it attaches to the steering shaft its a lot smaller. Ranger arm on the left in first pic and on bottom in second pic. I'm still at work so I can't go home and see if it will bolt up yet.

forumrunner_20120420_132819.jpg

forumrunner_20120420_133041.jpg
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
justanotherjpr

If that doesn't work, a waggy pitman arm is flat, IIRC
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
If that doesn't work, a waggy pitman arm is flat, IIRC
yeah and two inches longer. besides I dont want a flat arm if I can avoid it then I would have to remove my swaybar. I know, I know alot of you guys run without sway bars, but they help a lot with body roll around corners. Removing it is my last option.
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet, that's what I needed. Thanks

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.