Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Ticking sound in neutral when foot is OFF the clutch

10K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Schaef81 
#1 ·
Ok, I have had this jeep for about 5 months now, and I feel like I have a gambling adiction. Just one more part and it will be perfect. :nono: Anyway, I thought my vibration damper was going bad so I ordered a new one, but have not put it on yet b/c it is friggin freezing here. I was waiting in the drive through at BK and the ticking/scraping noise was still at it. I push in the clutch to get ready to put it in first gear, and the noise quits. I take my foot off and it comes back. I repeat about 10 times, same effect.
Please god tell me I can fix this on the cheap or my wife is going to kill me. :confused:

Thanks everyone in advance, know you will come through here.

#2 ·
This is exact same thing. And I mean exactly the same problem happened to me. So I pulled out the tranny, pulled er apart and sure enough. The input shaft gears that contact and drive the first shaft of gears the tranny weren't lined up and about 80% of the gears were all chewed off. Hope this isn't the case but this sounds exactly like my problem. Good luck.

#4 ·
Was your's doing anything other than ticking when in neutral? Mine sems fine except for some slight vibration when taking off? I attribute the vibe to my new carb that is not tuned yet,but who knows. Seems like 80 percent of gears chewed up would cause some noticeable symptoms. God I hope I don't need a new tranny.

#8 ·
If it's only doing it in neutral and not any other gear and isn't really loud and like skipping and jumping when you drive then I would say it more than likely is your throwout bearing as stated above. Good luck and I agree with replacing that clutch while you're there.

#9 ·
I was hoping for the throwout bearing, but all the posts I read said it makes noise when the foot is ON the clutch. I would be happy to toss a new clutch kit in her and go on with my daily life. I was reading other forums (toyota,honda, etc..) that suggest the symptoms are from a bad input shaft bearing, which seems to go in line with Humbert's catastrophe. My biggest problem is that this is my daily driver and I can't drop the trans until I can fix and put it back in. Is there a way to know for sure before tearing it all apart?

#10 ·
Not really. You can unbolt the trans, skid plate, shifter, take the driveshafts off and slide the transmission back and out of your way to take a look. But, you may as well go ahead and do the work while your there.

Throwout bearing rattles around when the clutch is not pressed and the trans in neutral because there is no pressure on it to hold it still. Causing it to move around and rattle when it's worn out.

#11 ·
Not really. You can unbolt the trans, skid plate, shifter, take the driveshafts off and slide the transmission back and out of your way to take a look. But, you may as well go ahead and do the work while your there.

Throwout bearing rattles around when the clutch is not pressed and the trans in neutral because there is no pressure on it to hold it still. Causing it to move around and rattle when it's worn out.
I am afraid you are right. I found a clutch kit for $127 and the bearing for 25, so Iguess I'll spend 150 and have all the parts on hand when I rip her apart.:thumbsup:

Do you know how long it should hold up if my symptoms are not too bad yet? Keep in mind I'm not wheeling the piss out of it. :thumbdown:

#12 ·
I drove a ford ranger with the throwout bearing rattling for a year or so. Probably 10k miles. I would do it as soon as you have a chance though. You never know. You can do it in a day easily. Even if you have no idea what you are doing. Get a haynes manual and a buddy and have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.