"ticking" bullshhhh...HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "ticking" bullshhhh...HELP!!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-21-2001, 04:47 AM   #1
solid

"ticking" bullshhhh...HELP!!

I have an 89 yj w/ a 258. I recently replaced the hydraulic lifters and the rocker arm assembly but kept the original push rods. I replaced the lifters because I was getting a ticking noise during warm-up and occasionally during idle(disappears the moment I raise the engine speed). I don't get that noise anymore however I'm getting a different kind of ticking noise. The NEW noise comes on after about two minutes of driving and during acceleration, the moment I ease on the gas pedal the noise disappears. I don't get the noise when downshifting. When I rev the engine quickly, I could hear it a little bit. also the acceleration is great when the noise is not there, but it gets worse as the ticking starts to appear. The noise progressively gets louder. If I shut down the engine for about five minutes and then restart, the noise would disappear and then come back again after about two minutes.
Someone told me that it might be spark knock so here's what I did...
I switched to 92 octane
I decarbonized the combustion chamber with MOPAR combustion chamber cleaner
I adjusted the timing
I checked the EGR...its ok
I retorqued the manifold bolts...found one bolt loose
I'm not really sure if it's spark knock anymore...I don't even know exactly what spark knock sounds like
I need some advice...HELP!!!

solid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2001, 06:40 PM   #2
hamyscj

Did you check for an exhaust leak? That is what it sounds like you are describing. Check you're exh manifold to headpipe connection. I have seen the manifolds crack also. An old trick to find these kinds of leaks is to dribble a few drops of auto trans fluid into the carb while the engine is running. This will produce a thick white smoke that should show where the leak is if one is present. It generally a good idea to do this with 2 people cuz the smoke won't last long. Good luck
Unread 06-24-2001, 09:07 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

That does sound right. I had a cracked exhaust manifold on my K20 & it did the same thing. As the engine warms up, the crack widens and it gets louder. After cooling down, the noise goes away.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.