Thump, Tick, Knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Thump, Tick, Knock

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thump, Tick, Knock

So my 89 YJ has been acting up for the last month. The first thing that started was the tranny (5-speed manual) felt like it was falling out when I would change gears. A loud thumping sound came from the back/middle of the Jeep. Usually does it within the first couple minutes of driving, then usually goes away.

Second thing is the engine ticks on and off. When the ticking gets really loud and fast, a knocking sound will start. This usually happens after driving for at least 10 minutes. The knocking only happens while I push down on the accelerator. The whole Jeep shakes violently while the knocking happens.

Any ideas on what these symptoms could mean? Treatments? I'm thinking the cold weather is doing this, but since it hasn't been warm yet here in PA I don't have any different weather to compare the cold to.

BlackGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a trans mount and your timing is off causing detonation and rough running exagerated by the shot trans mount.

Just a guess
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check all your mounts
Engine trans and torque arm. Use pry bar or large screwdriver

Mine did the same thing. My engine wasn't hooked to the frame at all.
Check your manifold bolts also

Start with easy stuff

Post back
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the input guys. when i get the time i'll check it out and let you know what it all was.
Unread 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I could not figure out what was wrong, so I went with a pro. Got a call yesterday. "You can either get a new engine for $3,500 or we can replace the oil pump for about $1,000 but that might not fix it." Needless to say I did not get a new engine. Went with the oil pump. Jeep works pretty well now, but it still ticks now and then. No knocking, though (yet). Not getting my hopes up, but hopefully the big problem has been fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.