Thumb throttle on what side? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Thumb throttle on what side?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 12-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thumb throttle on what side?

This is not an earth shaking thread, but ....

I just installed a thumb throttle in my YJ. It works as it should.

MY question is...
What side of the shifter should it go?

Driver side?

Passenger side?

It causes the engine to rev, while on the pass side by being moved from front to the rear. Oppisite on the drivers side.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think that would be a personal preference. I had mine on the passenger side.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
avh

As a thumb throttle I would think it would go on the driver's side so you could use your thumb. If not, you would have to use your pinky.
avh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would go with the drivers side and it would be kinda like an ATV throttle so you could use your thumb.
Unread 12-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is it harder to drive with hand and thumb throttles?
It would seem to be for me, I don't picture them to be similar or as easy as the thumb throttle on ATVs.
Swampwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
84 400
1989 YJ Wrangler 

does it act like a atv throttle or a boat throttle? if it is like a boat throttle inwould be fun for wheeling cause you could set the rmp's and just work the clutch on tough spots
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i havnt seen that before. can you use the gas pedal or the thumb throttle or just the thumb now? if you installed it on one side could you move it? if so the i would try drivers side then passenger side to see whats better. if not im sorry but your on your own.
jimaug87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
crosscheck17
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i just installed mine. the problem with it on the driver's side is that it rotates the wrong way to be a "thumb" throttle. it would be more of an "index finger" throttle. so i just put it on the passenger side.

if it is installed the way it should be, both the gas pedal and hand throttle are functional. it would be hard to smoothly drive a stick using the hand throttle. i tried in my neighborhood and it didn't go very well.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

"The box said 'Required Windows 95 or better'. So, I installed LINUX."
crosscheck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
dmcanally

2011 JK Wrangler 

are there any good how to's on installing a thumb throttle with pics? My only concern is how do you attach the cable to the throttle lever on a carb?
,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
dmcanally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will get pics of the connection to the tb(I don't have a carb), but it should still work for you. It will work by itself or with the gas pedal , made no difference here.
I got the thumb throttle from 4x4 toy store, as it is made for a Wrangler, with a stock like cable connection. Easy in, took 1/2 hour.
It seems easier to use on the passenger side, easier to get to...finger wise.
I installed the throttle mostly for my belt driven oba and to rev the engine during winching, but I can see it being useful on trail, as there are times when a manual trans, driver needs 3 feet to opperate all the pedals. Should help on the hiway too. Set it for 2000 rpm and go, go , go(poor mans cruise control )

I have yet to use on trail, the weather went bad here in Colorado, so perhaps next week...
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
BDurrant54
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Which side is a personal preference. Thumb throttles are used for constant RPM as in for an onboard welder or for crawling when you just dont have enough feet for all the pedals. The trick to mounting it is to cereate a throttle linkage at the carb that can be defeated by the foot throttle when you climb out and start to use your foot throttle . then you return the thumb throttle back to idle. These are commonly used in places like Moab.
BDurrant54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I like mine on the passenger side. I've had my homebrew hand throttles mounted everywhere from the cage to the dash to my shifter. The shifter seems to be by far the most convenient for the multi-pedally challenged. I've also got one getting ready to go under the hood for the OB Welder.

On a side note, it's not a great idea to use these things as a cruise control. If you want cruise control, that's great, but get a cruise control. In an emergency situation, it's doubtful that your first thought will be to disengage the hand throttle.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Tongie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
This is not an earth shaking thread, but ....

I just installed a thumb throttle in my YJ. It works as it should.

MY question is...
What side of the shifter should it go?

Driver side?

Passenger side?

It causes the engine to rev, while on the pass side by being moved from front to the rear. Oppisite on the drivers side.
Personally, I like mine about 11 oclock on the gear shifter. I have found
that using my index finger while crawling feels the most natural.
Tongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Um.. Where did this thread come from? Did someone actually USE the search function to find it?

On a related note: Should the throttle cable be effected while shifting? Should there be more slack to avoid that?
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongie View Post
Personally, I like mine about 11 oclock on the gear shifter. I have found
that using my index finger while crawling feels the most natural.
What he said!!! Mine is the same...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.