Throttle Body to Carburetor Conversion - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Throttle Body to Carburetor Conversion

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i am googling lost wax process. i have no idea what that is

Unread 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #47
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i am googling lost wax process. i have no idea what that is
Lost wax is a process where you carve the desired item in wax. Then dip the wax carving in a ceramic solution and let that coating harden on the wax. The ceramic and wax is then fired in a kiln. The wax melts and runs out leaving a perfect mold of the desired part.

The mold is then used to accept the desired molten metal (aluminum, pot-metal, bronze, gold, etc) . After cooling, the ceramic shell is broken and removed from the finished product.
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
How about just make a casting using the lost wax process? Wax is much easier to carve than a phenolic block.

Seriously, there are trade schools that do this and the cast part normally just needs final fitting and de-flashing.

Yes, the wax would be easy to carve, BUT.... The resulting casting would need more than just flash removal, there is a lot involved in making a correct casting. Material flow, cooling, and shrinkage need to be accounted for. The finished casting would then need to be machined in order to create an adequate seal on the sealing surfaces which makes it much more complicated than using phenolic. Phenolic is very hard, but can be shaped using common woodworking tools and techniques. If you start with the correct thickness of phenolic, the seal surfaces are already nice and smooth ready to seal up tightly. Metal casting is outside the capabilities and tooling of most DIYers.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #49
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to suggest that if the wiring and a dead ECM are the only issues you have, you might see what jeep clubs are in your area. Someone in the club might be willing to help you resolve your issues (have beer available) and not have to go through changing to a carb. That said I have nuttered my 4.2 and changed to a Weber carb - runs great. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #50
TexasTrue
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Phase 2

I finally received my intake and got it installed. I have the carb in place. Anybody have any good diagrams of how to run the vacuum hoses? My Chilton's manual doesn't have the best diagrams and photos, and since it was previously fuel injected, I don't really have a reference point from before. Come to think of it, a good picture under your hood may be just as good as a diagram.

Thanks in advance.
TexasTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #51
mbates96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

TexasTrue - how'd you make your adapter? Phenoic?

Anyone else - Anyone want to make/have an adpater? I don't really have any woodworking friends.
mbates96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb , carb spacer , conversion , efi , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.