Throttle Body to Carburetor Conversion - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Throttle Body to Carburetor Conversion

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #31
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I like my carb on the stroker

If you don't like carbs then don't get one.
If you do like carbs then knock your self out, I will even help you gert it set up.
The amazing thing about this is the OWNER has the CHOICE what to run.

Old Guy

4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #32
TexasTrue
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Stroker,

What kind of spacer is that?
TexasTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #33
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That is a home brew adaptor to put a carb on a 99 n up intake.
It is made from phenolic, a composit material that is tough and not a conductor of heat.
If you go to my gallery you will see a series of pics that pretty much walk you through how I made it all work.

Dwayne
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #34
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

after making the adapter did you just hammer out a manifold and carb base gasket from sheet gasket material. this swap looks rather simple. in northern NY wear we are most of the used fuel injected cars and trucks suffer from crusty wires and controls because of the large quantity of salt that is spread on the roads in winter. I know some will say wash the car more but when the temp is -10f for 2 - 3 weeks at a time washing the car is not a option especially if you want to get back in it before spring. This swap would put alot more jeeps back on the road around here. Carb, coil, point or electronic dist and a power / ground wire you are ready . FI is great and all but when a problem arises and i don't have my obd2 or vag com with me a test light is only going to help a little.with a carb if you have spark and fuel it will run. no feed back from the brain getting in the middle of your adventure holding you back from getting out of the woods. I would take mechanical fuel injection over electronic any day but now we are talking diesel . Electrical items are the down fall of all vehicles.Electric and water don't mix but off roading and water do. The less electronic controls you have the safer you are. When we built vws we would run a magneto distributor which required no electric at all to create spark . You could throw the battery away and still run it.i would think many guys here don't know what a mag is much less a Magneto distributor and wouldn't believe you could have spark with out 12vt from the battery. I'm not bashing any one i'm just dating my myself as a (old school-er ) . I would carb it and get back on the road
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #35
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
after making the adapter did you just hammer out a manifold and carb base gasket from sheet gasket material. this swap looks rather simple. in northern NY wear we are most of the used fuel injected cars and trucks suffer from crusty wires and controls because of the large quantity of salt that is spread on the roads in winter. I know some will say wash the car more but when the temp is -10f for 2 - 3 weeks ...... I'm not bashing any one i'm just dating my myself as a (old school-er ) . I would carb it and get back on the road
I'm an old-schooler myself (yes I know what a magneto is, I've ran 'em) but I do have to point out a few things. One, a carb on an EFI car is guaranteed fail at inspection in NY. (I live a bit north of Buffalo). They changed the law a while back. Two, I've been running EFI for years without the probs you describe. But I do hose the engine off once or twice during winter. It isn't gonna freeze on a hot engine. The body only gets washed in the summer. I also check all the wiring and lube the heck out of everythig in October usually.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #36
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hey neighbor . I havent had` any issues with inspection with my trucks for my bussiness. 95 and older they dont hook to the computer around here. Ive got a f150 and a f250 with carb engines swaped into them as long as it has the shell of a cat in the exhst system they fly right through. No sniffer tubes for the inspection here. Down state and maybe up by you they might sniff the exhaust. We are in cow town. Not to stray from the thread but im a diesel guy one wire full mechanical no electric. this winteri if money allows i will build a diesel yj isuzu or some other small powerplant in it . we are woods trail jeepers diesel seems like a good way to go . if you run black diesel you will be wheeling for free.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #37
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used black RTV between the adaptor and intake manifold. The shape of things made it nearly impossible to seal any other way.
As for the legality of what you want to do I have no idea what you can do in your area.
I maintained the cat because Jeeps try to kill you with fumes if you don't and well it is also federal law that you have one if the vehicle was built with one. (not debating if you should have one or not just pointing out facts).
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #38
Jeep-N-0311
1984 CJ7 

If you're going to do it, at least look into an MC2100/2150 - simple to install & tune, then, it just runs & runs ...
Jeep-N-0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #39
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.7stroker, how hard is it to get that adapter made? i need to make one for my intake now that i am to the point of putting it on
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #40
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrue View Post
@ matlock1983 -

NASCAR has been removing EFI off stock cars for years and replacing them with carburetors.
And their motors are PIGS (per displacement) compared to other types of race cars...
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #41
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

TexasTrue, Ive been building a carburated 4,0 for the last few months.
I miss the days when all I needed was 50lb toolbox and I was unstoppable and could deal with just about any problem at least temporarily until I could fix it permanantly. A good carburated engine will live and die 2,3, or 4 times when a FI, computer controlled engine usually lives and dies once for economic reasons. I have a sbc that has travelled almost 1 million miles on 3 rebuilds.

The only issue I ran into was when you use a 258 intake there are some fitting issues with the 4.0 exhaust(which you will have to use) nothing terrible and easy to work through.

If you use the 99+ 4.0 intake like 4.7 stroker and I are using there are no fitting issues but you will have to modify the intake and make the carb adaptor(details are in 4.7stroker's gallery). I made an adaptor from an aluminum adaptor plate that I found under a mc2100 in a junkyard. It looks like a carb adaptor but it was only there to provide a nipple for a pcv hose or perhaps a brake booster to connect. IIRC I found it in a late 70s f100, 302, it was obviously a factory retrofit so they could use up their existing stock of intakes and carbs so they may be difficult to find.

I spent $30 to get a machine shop to mill it to fit my intake and I drilled and countersunk my carb and intake bolts myself. I used 4.7strokers design(and so did the machine shop) He should have copywrited it . All kiddin aside, Many thanks to 4.7 stroker

Im still not convinced which intake I will be using, the 258,the 99+ or a Clifford. I will try all of them and have bought, built and dry fitted all of them and have them ready to go. I have to also consider that I am making mine a dual fuel setup capable of running on gasoline or propane(check into it).

So far I have only dry fitted everything and have now dissasembled it all to build the 4.0 into a stroker.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #42
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

paypal contributions to the beer fund are always welcome.
I am happy to see public domain is alive and well though.
As far as making an adaptor just order a block of phenolic and grab a wood working buddy. He can follow along with the pics in my gallery and make you one in a couple of hours.

Dwayne
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #43
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you can buy that phenolic in blocks like that and then just drill and file or smooth it your self? hmmm, that is interesting
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #44
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ok, its going to have to be made somewhere else. i don't know anyone with a drill press or any of the stuff in those pics. i am on my own down here
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #45
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

How about just make a casting using the lost wax process? Wax is much easier to carve than a phenolic block.

Seriously, there are trade schools that do this and the cast part normally just needs final fitting and de-flashing.

Tags
carb , carb spacer , conversion , efi , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.