thread tap question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > thread tap question...

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thread tap question...

I want to drill and tap some holes for 12-24 bolts. The tap says use drill bit #16.

What is a #16 drill bit and where to I get one? Is that a standard size?

bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, a number 16 drill is a standard size, (.1770), and should be available labled #16.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! that was easy. I don't have a bit that size. Guess I'm going shopping today.
bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't have a fractional equivalent. It's somewhere between 5/32 and 11/64. You can either use a 5/32 and then go real slow and use lots of lube when you tap it (that's what I normally do) so as not to mess up your tap, or go look for a #16. We have hardware surplus stores around here that stock every size and shape of drill bit, you might look for the same in your area.

See this for details:
Drill Size Chart
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.