thoughts on CL wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > thoughts on CL wrangler

July 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Unread Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #1
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thoughts on CL wrangler

My coworker is shopping around for a wrangler and found one that could be a good choice. Its a 1991 4 banger 170xxx with an ax5, no AC and not really a lot of info

It looks like he has a shackle lift on it but Im not sure.
Those are the only two pictures he posted.

Hes asking 3400 but hes dropped the price down from 3800 in a couple days.

The vacuum on the front axle is broken but i dont think he knows its just the vacuum causing it, but the tcase. He said he hasnt done anything to it and is unsure what the PO did

Were going to see it sunday, anything I should bring to inspect it or look out for specifically? This will be the first time buying a used jeep for the both of us.

Obviously we want to drop the price as much as we can lol
Thanks

cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I like how its clean and stockish.
Plus yall dont have rust issues...
But that is a lot of miles, and the ax5 is not a long term trans without some work on it.
Show up, test drive it. Point out al the flaws and then just set there being real quite. looking at stuff.
most times the folks are setting right with ya and get nervous that you seeing more and more wrong. And start dropping price.
Then offer 2500... have the cash and be ready to hand it over. Every dollar you save buying it, goes to fixing the problems.
long test drives freak sellers out too... I get great deals on the ones I buy that are running by just driving and pointing out the steering issues and vibrations and noises...
Even though I can fix any issue......
I am so going to make a road trip next year and buy a few old school cars out there and ship back home to work on.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #3
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do what Jeeps says......3400 for a four banger, with the AX5, bare bones.....aint happenin here. I looked for sometime for one. When I looked, I went back to the oldest posts I could find and wrote asking if they were still available. MOST were. Why? Because they asked outrageous amounts of money for something not worth half what they asked. When I read the "yes it is" reply, the first thing I let them know I knew was it was posted for months. I got mine for 2500 when the original post was 3800. Its a 93 Sahara with the 4.0, a/c, auto, hardtop.....and yes every single one I looked at had what the seller deemed "typical jeep rust", which told me that they believed it didn't matter. And just like Jeeps said...I called em out on everything. Take your time, don't rush, and you'll find the right one.....at the right price..
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That looks like a 90 not a 91. It has the sport bar not the family. Is it a throttlebody injection or multiport?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94 View Post
Do what Jeeps says......3400 for a four banger, with the AX5, bare bones.....aint happenin here. I looked for sometime for one. When I looked, I went back to the oldest posts I could find and wrote asking if they were still available. MOST were. Why? Because they asked outrageous amounts of money for something not worth half what they asked. When I read the "yes it is" reply, the first thing I let them know I knew was it was posted for months. I got mine for 2500 when the original post was 3800. Its a 93 Sahara with the 4.0, a/c, auto, hardtop.....and yes every single one I looked at had what the seller deemed "typical jeep rust", which told me that they believed it didn't matter. And just like Jeeps said...I called em out on everything. Take your time, don't rush, and you'll find the right one.....at the right price..
Yep... I don't understand why people in the North East think their cars are worth so much... Can't find a jeep for under 5k. They never sell, but they never go lower. Can't find a Tacoma for under 10k. Again, they never sell. They use everyone else's internet post (which also doesn't sell) to justify their extraordinary price.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #6
jcmooreusmc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
That looks like a 90 not a 91. It has the sport bar not the family. Is it a throttlebody injection or multiport?
I thought the '91 had the sport bar.
jcmooreusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #7
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmooreusmc View Post
I thought the '91 had the sport bar.
Yeah, 91 was still the sport bar.

That YJ is not bad. About average for around here, just another 4 cylinder with no A/C. At least it hasn't been modified beyond usefulness. The more you can get off the price the better, but you are not getting ripped off at the price if it runs out ok. Check that T-case well, though.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:46 AM   #8
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's about a right price for this area as well.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:24 AM   #9
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as always with our wranglers... rear frame rails... near the fuel filter.... the shock mounts and around the steering box are all places to inspect the frame very carefully...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:01 AM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^
It's in Arizona.
No such thing as rust unless someone brought it from somewhere else.

Nice YJ's here (4.0's) are around 10,000 now.
Unread Today, 11:53 AM   #11
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay I'll inspect it close when we go to take a look.
He did text my friend yesterday and say he has replaces the tcase and tranny and that we could have the old ones if we wanted. I'm not sure if they're bad or just old, and I'm not sure if the ones he's replaced them with are rebuilt or just JY pulls. But that could be a plus. Whoever did it may have put in the ax15, he doesn't seen to know much about it so who knows.
Should I rent one of those cylinder compression testers to use?
cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:28 PM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
^
It's in Arizona.
No such thing as rust unless someone brought it from somewhere else.

Nice YJ's here (4.0's) are around 10,000 now.
I dont care where it is now... you never know where it started from. Just wanted the OP to be aware of the areas that if it was not from AZ where to look for issues.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.