Thought is was a fuel pump but now I have more problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Thought is was a fuel pump but now I have more problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thought is was a fuel pump but now I have more problems

Ok, so this morning I was on the way to look at some tires and wheels for my Jeep. About 20 miles from home it died on me...luckily in an Autozone parking lot. I first tried a fuel filter but after installing it I saw that I was getting no fuel at the fuel rail. So I rented a tow dolly and towed it home. Long story short for this part, I found that the wire harness just before the pump's connector had rubbed against the tank skid plate or something and it was grounding two of the three wires out. I fixed the wires and no more fuel problems.

BUT, after getting that problem fixed I now have an intermittent vibration in when in fourth or fifth gear. It doesn't do it all the time and I see no rhyme or reason for it starting or stopping. It just shakes real bad sometimes and sometimes it drives just as smooth as yesterday.

I'm sure that I did something to it with the tow dolly but was hoping someone would be able to tell me what to look for. I towed it by the front tires with the tranny in neutral and the steering wheel unlocked. I didn't think to put the transfer case in neutral so I'm not sure if that is where I messed up or not. I haven't tried 4WD yet but will in the morning. After working on it from 9am til 3pm I have to do everything that I was trying to do today first.

Any help would be appreciated.

skot0123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, after looking through the manual it sounds like I may have fried my TC. It says that I should have put the tranny in gear and the TC in neutral. Whoopee! :-(
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No ideas?....
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Check the rear transmission mount and the driver's side engine mount.

Also, pull the rear driveshaft and check the U-joints.

Pull the fill plug on the transfer case and check for slack in the chain.

Also, check the driver's side front axle U-joint.

Any of these items can cause transitory vibrations, but there are more possibilities.
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
TDHofstetter

Other things that can do it... loss of wheel weights on two different wheels (sometimes the wheels are "in time" and sometimes they're out of phase), or a thrown driveshaft weight, or suspension/steering wear/damage, or alignment issues...

Is there a particular speed range or road / driving condition associated with the vibration? How long does it last, and what changes when it starts, what changes when it stops? Do you speed up, shake the steering wheel, slow down, touch the brakes, what?
TDHofstetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It all started after the tow Dolly episode today and I have been trying to pinpoint a trigger for its start and stop and haven't got it yet. I have found that it is noticeable above 45 and it seems that the trigger may be a sharp turn. I also started noticing a metallic light clanking noise tonight, very light sounding. I'm gonna dig around under it more tomorrow afternoon and will update. Thanks
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you really should put the t case in N to tow it, however, forgetting to do that once i really wouldnt think would hurt anything. IMO its probably not that. some of the things mentioned above sound much more likely jack up the front end and check the wheel brgs/ball joints/steering/etc also.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
CrushJeep

how much of an incline did you have the jeep on during tow? i have had the problem of burning up gears towing because all the fluid was at one end of the transmission. May have that to consider although it was on other vehicles i have had that issue not a jeep. and you may also want to make sure that all your wires are connected good on that fuel pump. make sure you use heat shrink connectors because most crimp ones arent worth a crap and you need the correct voltage so you dont burn up any wires or fuses. hard to tell without looking at it. Other option is take an oil sample which i do every 6 months from your tranny, rear end, and engine and take it down to a local college with an auto department or a dealership or CAT dealer and have an oil sample done. it will tell you every metal shaving you have in your oil and every part in those things are made of different alloys so you will know what is wearing out without having to guess. Just a lil investment that is well worth a few 5 dollar oil tests.
CrushJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
skot0123
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, figured it out today and it was no where near as bad as I thought.

I checked the U Joints by shaking them and felt no slack or give, didn't really expect to anyways. I changed them out and when I pulled the front UJ on the rear drive-shaft I found that one of the caps was full of black dust rather than needle bearings. I was really happy when I saw this and after I put the drive-shaft back in all the vibration was gone. I really didn't consider the U joints because there was no clunking sound when taking off but now that I think about it, the vibration felt exactly like a bad u joint.

Thinking back on when it broke down on me I know what happened. When it died I popped the clutch to try to get it to start back up (while still rolling obviously). I'm guessing that the u joint was in poor shape before this and me popping the clutch just finished it off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.