JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Those have gotten their jeeps painted (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/those-have-gotten-their-jeeps-painted-1549634/)

Wrangler11 07-16-2013 07:15 AM

How much did you pay? I cannot imagine it being that cost since there is not a whole lot that needs to be painted.

Once I fix the body id like to get it painted.

JeeperDon 07-16-2013 08:29 AM

I have to start looking into this too. It's not your same scenario, but I plan on getting a new used tub soon and will likely need it painted before installing.

Gage56 07-16-2013 08:38 AM

Im painting mine by myself so just the cost of the paint and stuff
but i know around here people still charge a arm and a leg for paint work

Nowiser 07-16-2013 08:43 AM

I have having my cousin do it, he is a body guy. I am using pretty solid paint (Diamont) and I think I am looking at $4-500 in materials. This is just an estimate, he hasn't painted a jeep before so he isn't sure exactly on how much of reducer and stuff he will need.

I have heard guys getting maaco paint jobs for $600. Ask around, I am sure there are very good painters who do it on weekends and have all the stuff. All depends on what you want out of it, showroom or trail ready

SeanB95YJ 07-16-2013 08:56 AM

is Earl Scheib still around? he'll paint any car for $99.99 LOL
ok, now I'm showing my age

but at any rate, more often than not you get what you pay for.... prep details, finish type (urethane, enamel, etc), single stage or 2-stage, etc.

I only paid about $50 for my paint job.... and it LOOKS like a $50 paint job at 15 ft or closer, but it's super easy (for me anyway) to maintain and repair dings & scratches when necessary

it's all about what your end goal is.

bmedeiros678 07-16-2013 09:20 AM

Mine is being painted as we speak. I am doing a full paint job. I have a renegade so there was a little more to paint but am spending around 3-4 k this includes a lot of labor because I had a new tub built and the floor coated

jeep63 07-16-2013 09:29 AM

I just had my 91 painted

Same color as new with a bit of body work. Mostly welding holes closed and sticker removal

I did all the R&I

I believe he used sikkens paint, and it has a clearcoat. I only had the outside done.

I used Monstaliner on the inside.

Professional jobs involve a lot of work.

It was a cash deal, but still ran 2k.

It turned out great, but it was $$$

My build thread has pics.

Update...

Before

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/IMAG0217.jpg

After

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...psa4fd6879.jpg

calvynandhobbs 07-16-2013 09:51 AM

I've done the rustoleum with a roller paint job on a CJ7 a few years ago that turned out much better than I expected. When I get to the point of paint with my YJ I'm debating trying to spray it myself. I've got a good compressor that can do it. Just have to get a gun and painting supplies. The looks good from 15 feet is fine by my standards.

superj 07-16-2013 10:04 AM

i was told about 3-5k around here. painting is crazy expensive. self painted camo jobs are badass though

jbrown73 07-16-2013 10:49 AM

I have two friends who are professional auto body painters and they both stated that for them to do it at their own personal shops (not at their employer's) would cost ~$2500 with ~$500 in materials......they take it down to bare metal. They also said that if I were to take the vehicle to their place of employment I would be looking at ~$3500.

On a side note, they also said that if someone is charging you less than $500 in materials then you are not getting quality paint that will hold up over time. Hence the old adage, "you get what you pay for".

The PO of my YJ slapped on one of those $200 Maaco jobs and the paint flakes off in places or comes off when removing masking tape. You can see where they didn't prep the original surface at all in those places where the paint has come off.

Rproject 07-16-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvynandhobbs (Post 15682774)
The looks good from 15 feet is fine by my standards.

That was my concern when I got my last YJ painted. My bother "knew a guy" who could repair the rust and paint the vehicle for $2,500. The rust repair lasted 2 years, but the paint still looked good for a weekend toy - aka trail toy.

The_Goob 07-16-2013 12:23 PM

Jeep63, did you not like the islander decals? :P I have them but I dont think I would get rid of them when the time comes

sxi4evr 07-16-2013 12:32 PM

i did all the body work and even primed mine myself then took it to the painter. he sprayed it with sealer, paint, and clear for $300

Wrangler11 07-16-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowiser
I have having my cousin do it, he is a body guy. I am using pretty solid paint (Diamont) and I think I am looking at $4-500 in materials. This is just an estimate, he hasn't painted a jeep before so he isn't sure exactly on how much of reducer and stuff he will need.

I have heard guys getting maaco paint jobs for $600. Ask around, I am sure there are very good painters who do it on weekends and have all the stuff. All depends on what you want out of it, showroom or trail ready

I've had a macco paint job before and their awful. I've painted an s2000 before and $4-$500 just for materials I crazy. You should be able to get everything for under $100.

Wrangler11 07-16-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ
is Earl Scheib still around? he'll paint any car for $99.99 LOL
ok, now I'm showing my age

but at any rate, more often than not you get what you pay for.... prep details, finish type (urethane, enamel, etc), single stage or 2-stage, etc.

I only paid about $50 for my paint job.... and it LOOKS like a $50 paint job at 15 ft or closer, but it's super easy (for me anyway) to maintain and repair dings & scratches when necessary

it's all about what your end goal is.

Hahaha they were talking about old commercials on espn 1000 and they mentioned the $99 paint job.

The time now is 06:33 AM.