Those with ARB lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Those with ARB lockers

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Brads_nky_yj

Those with ARB lockers

Ok so my original plan was to run OX lockers and that was that. But then last night I get a PM from a vendor on here and we talk back and forth about the pros and cons of each ARB and OX. He also informs me that he can get me the ARBs for front and rear over $400 cheaper than the OX would cost. So I was like uh...yeah I'll go with ARB. Now my plan is to run York OBA anyway so this works out good right?

I have the list for what vehicles to get the York from and I have read on here numerous threads about the York OBA and what all is needed etc etc. My question here for all of you people who have the air lockers, how did you hook up the air lines into your OBA? Specifically York OBA? A write-up, How to, or list would be awesome. I am pretty sure I know everything I need to get for just the OBA but how would I hook the ARBs into it? Again please dont tell me to search, I have and I have seen a few rigs with it but just by looking at pictures I cant ALWAYS know exactly what I need. Thanks!

Unread 01-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're not going to find a cookie cutter for a York system. Every setup I have seen are different, since it's all home brew. It's not rocket science. Compressor, tank (whatever fits your needs, mount wherever fits), regulator (cheap from Home Depot/Lowes is fine), a pressure switch, and enough pipe fittings to connect it all. The pressure switch controls the York clutch. The regulator output goes to the ARB solenoids. The York_output + tank + reg_input + switch are all just plumbed together however works. The installation also evolve over time, get plumbed different, bigger tank added, outputs for tire air lines added, tank relocated to a better place (wherever 'better' is for you).

Having a 'list of vehicles' won't help in many junk yards. The place I went had a small outbuilding half full of pre-pulled A/C compressors. He said "just go find one that works for you", and I did. Just get one with "210" on the placard and the rest looking like it fits your situation. The in/out on the left/right can be swapped over if you need to.
Unread 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
But then last night I get a PM from a vendor on here and we talk back and forth about the pros and cons of each ARB and OX.
I am pretty set on getting the ox lockers myself.

....If you dont mind me asking. What were the pros and cons between the two?

Thanks
Felonious_monk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious_monk View Post
...If you dont mind me asking. What were the pros and cons between the two?
I have ARB, have for years, before OX. From my extensive reading here and from friends that have OX, I came up with a couple conclusions. 1) Both are fine and work well. 2) Both can have problems with activation systems, people say they get leaks in ARBs and that they get stuck cables in OX. 3) To me, OX is harder to install since it uses more intrusive hard lines into the cabin, while ARB only need electrical switches in the cabin. 4)Ox is more expensive, but you're done, while ARB is cheaper, but you have to deal with getting air pressure.

I would still buy ARB again if I was starting over. If you want OBA anyway, that cost of compressor part goes away and then ARBs are cheaper.
Unread 01-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So how much $ does it take to set up a York A/C compressor to run an ARB? I've never set up a A/C OBA system so I don't know. You're going to need the compressor, a switch, relay, regulator, pressure switch, fittings, tank, hoses, and then you're still going to need the ARB soleniods, wiring and switches for those. Seems like a lot of hassle just to lock 2 diffs that use about a soda can's worth of air.

I only have an ARB in the front, and I use the mini ARB compressor. It was $150 and came with everything that the diff doesn't come with. I opened the box and 30 minutes later I was locked. I've seen others use the mini compressor with 2 lockers too.

If you just want it to run the ARB, I'd skip the York setup and get an electric compressor.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use a belt driven oba for my ARB lockers. Not a York though.

I have an Extreme Flow compressor and a small air storage tank mounted under the battery tray.

Here is a pic of how I distribute my air...

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
Brads_nky_yj

Well when I order my ARBs I will get a free mini compressor and I know that would be perfectly enough to run the dual ARBs, but I also want to have OBA to fill up tires/friends tires as no one ever has OBA. Plus I would like option of running air tools if I needed and thats why I wanted to go with the York/Belt Driven OBA.

JeeperDon thanks for your answers. I always appreciate them, they are always straight to the deal

Jeepster I was hoping you would chime in because yours is one of the rigs I have been looking at and trying to find pictures of lol I plan on installing my tank either on one of my rear wheel wells because I am going SOA and with a traction bar and boat sides I wont have very much room underneath.
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well when I order my ARBs I will get a free mini compressor and I know that would be perfectly enough to run the dual ARBs
Yes it will. I ran that for a few years before wanting air for tires and adding the York system. The ARB compressor is now rigged with battery clamps and a 4' hose and serves as portable air for my cars on trips.
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's how I plumbed my OBA

If you're gonna run the ARB off the york, just do like jeepster and have a regulator prior to the ARB outlets. That's how mine will eventually be.

I don't know a whole lot about the OX, but the local driveline guy that gears pretty much everyone around here, absolutely refuses to install them. He basically told me in a nutshell he believes they're junk.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Brads_nky_yj

Jeepster93, do you have any more pictures of your set up or how you did it exactly?
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeepster93, do you have any more pictures of your set up or how you did it exactly?
The compressor is from Extreme Aire, called an extreme flow. It is a new compressor rebuilt with tomkin bearings, so it doesn't need oil as lube, it uses a few squirts of red grease every few running hours. It keeps me from adding or removing oil from the compressed air.

Hooked up with 3/8's soft copper tube. Used the coiled copper tube to help in dealing with the heat the compressor seems to make. There is like 4 feet of tube in those coils. It actually melted a standard air hose. Notice the spirals are the size of one of those bulk cd cases. The copper is wonderful at dealing with the heat.. Also used copper to go from the tank to the manifold. It is soft and flexible enough to take the engine torque movement too.

Coming out of the compressor also is a blow off valve to keep the system from having a high pressure issue...you never know when something can go wrong. Also has a one way valve in it to keep back pressure out of the compressor. Suppose to be easier on the compressor that way.

The air tank is a small one about 16 x 6 inches, perhaps 2 1/2 gallons. Got it from a truck bone yard. Off of a Kenworth to run it's air horns. Cheap.

The manifold is from Northern tool mail order. Again cheap.

The 2 things with the blue hoses in them are the ARB locker solenoids. Front locker in the...front. Rear in the back. Easy to remember which is which.

The Pressure regulator is in the mainfold too. The thing with the 2 wire coming out. It is from ARB and set at locker pressure(90 psi on 105 off).

The pressure gauge is just there to fill an extra hole I ended up with in the manifold. Pure bling.

The steel wraped hose at the rear of the manifold goes to the front grill. There is a hookup there for an air hose to fill my tires. Fills a 33 x12.50 from 10 to 30 psi in 45 seconds. Fills as many tires as I need to fill. So far the most in one sitting is 6 jeeps worth.

The mount is an old piece of steel I had.

The copper tube and compression fittings, and the brass fittings are from the local Home depot.

It required me to add another idler pulley and a longer fan belt.

I have a thumb throttle on the shifter. Used to rev the engine a bit(1500 rpm will make as much air as a tire can take).

the compressor mount.

Total cost is about $525 to $550.
Should be years of hassle free operation. My goal.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeepster93, that's awesome! I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.