Thinking of switching from CJ to YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Thinking of switching from CJ to YJ

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking of switching from CJ to YJ

I currently have a '76 CJ5, and I'm thinking of buying a YJ. I'd like to get a 6 cyl and maybe an automatic, problem is I don't know much about the YJ world. Is there anything to stay away from or look for? My CJ isn't very family friendly, wife can't drive a stick and the v8 headers and side pipes are two loud for my son. Looking to get better stability and handling with the longer and wider wheelbase. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

t600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Love my "92" but I guess if I were going to pick a year I'd look for a "95". You for sure want the 4.0 FI, I believe it was 95 that they went to heavier unjoints and knuckle. You know already to check for rust, probably in the same areas as your CJ. They are great platforms for building on, but I'd be hard pressed to give up a V8 CJ5.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mske sure you keep the grill, hood, and fenders off your cj.
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
Mske sure you keep the grill, hood, and fenders off your cj.
Haha oh and the dashboard, I love my buddys 86 cj7! Oh and get a 91' or newer for 4.0l fuel injection too
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
89yjislanderr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

are you looking to supplement your cj or sell it? on behalf of everyone here, please supplement and don't sell the cj! you'll be the cooled guy on the block with a yj and cj5. but yeah, 87-90 6 cylinder is carbed, after that is injected. 92 and up gives you the family roll cage, and since you mentioned a son, i guess you'd want that. and the 95 is the only yj with larger ujoints and a few other upgraded parts. if you do get a yj, you can remove the track bars with NO ILL EFFECT, since the springs are wider than your cj's. the ride will be much improved. I personally run no tracks or sway bars, also with no ill effects.
89yjislanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
YJ8
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ's-- 95 is the best, but 91+ are pretty close and condition would be my deciding factor on what year. If you find a 90 (258 motor) that has the Mopar MPFI that would be great. Before 90 they had weaker drive lines so know you may have to address that, but once again-- on old vehicles Condition trumps everything else.

More importantly, assuming your CJ5 is a keeper-- Why not fix the exhaust (mufflers and run out behind the rear tires-- on the side), add a quality YJ (wider springs-- out boarded)suspension, and get ready..... Turn it into a CJ-6 i.e. extend the frame and use an existing tub to fill in the gaps from the stretch. I think that can fix every one of your complaints and you keep your V8, and classic front end. Search topics like-- TJ to LJ, or YJ Unlimited, or CJ Unlimited, or DukeGnarley's YJ unlimited build to see how it is done.

I am in the middle of this myself,
YJ-8
YJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As a former CJ owner, (and I loved my CJ) I absolutely love my YJ. Roomy, comfortable, stable and quite powerful. And I also like the automatic. Not that I can't shift. I'm tired of shifting.

If this is going to be your baby, may I suggest (I'm sure people are sick of hearing me suggest) than you find one in the desert southwest and bring it back. A pain in the butt and extra fuel? Yes. But not nearly as bad as a frame swap and rust repair. If you have friends or family in Cali, Arizona or Nevada have em look when (if) your ready.
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info! I thought about the cj to YJ spring conversion and converting to disk brakes and some other stuff. But I just can't find time to do all this cool stuff. That's why I wanted to just get something newer. Lots of thinking to do! Is there any transmissions to look for or stay away from? I'm not dead set on an automatic but it would be nice.
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have family in Vegas and Phoenix! I had the exact same thought!
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t600 View Post
Have family in Vegas and Phoenix! I had the exact same thought!
My friend just picked up a rust free desert mint YJ with a 4.6 stroker for $4000 last weekend.
Watch for bargains, they are out there.
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 76 cj5 and an 87 yj. i like them both. my yj is an automatic also

since you come from the cj world, and want an automatic, you can get any of hte yjs. you already know about carbs so you won;t have the trouble most people do with an early yj because you already dealt with it on a cj. the real difference will be lots more electrical then the cj has (and of course, lots more room getting in and out of hte jeep). i don;t know about your cj but mineh as a 4" lift so its a pain to step in and out of it with the lack of room between the seat and steering wheel.
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #12
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm on my second YJ. My first was a 95 and my current is an 87. I love my 87 10x more than I ever did my 95. Granted my 87 is clean and my 95 was a project, but I like the simplicity of the 4.2l carbureted engine. It allows for the deletion of many of the electronic systems creating a more simple platform with less emissions crap in the mix.

As for the transmissions, since you're going automatic, there's nothing to really shy away from. On the manuals you want to look for something with an AX-15.

Like a CJ, rust will be your biggest enemy. Take your time to find the right one and your enjoyment factor will increase exponentially. :-)

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The auto trans is the same on all. The fact that you're in South Dakota and are driving in some cold weather and some big mountains means that you need a 4.0L; don't even consider the 2.5L, fuel injected, and, as it has been stated, the 94/95 have a few changes that make it the target year to go for. Rust is still your enemy but there is galenizing on the later years that helps. I would do a road trip and get away from the salt to buy one. The drive is worth the difference in the Jeep condition. Rust on the frame usually happens by the shackles and in the rear on the frame rail by the gas tank, under the drives feet floor board, by the Jeep logo on the side and around the roll bar and seat mounts.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #14
yjluv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Try to find one that doesn't have the Dana 35 rearend. Many people end up replacing them with a better one so why not find a jeep that already has it done.
yjluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the rear end one is subjective. lots of people don't replace them. people who do hardcore stuff replace them. i have never replaced a 35 in any jeep i have ever owned but i do not do rock climbing or mud racing.

i know if you search on here, lots of people replace them but here is a place where people come to learn to mod and do stuff like that so they get worked more then normal. if you compare the amount of dana35s put onto jeeps to the amount of people on forums changing them, the percentage is not high

and you will be hard pressed to find one without a d35 anyways

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.