Think twice, cut once....ooops!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Think twice, cut once....ooops!!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Think twice, cut once....ooops!!

I decided to move my filler neck to the side of the jeep. After I was done I realized I may not be able to go with my plans for installing TJ flares as they may interfere with the new location of my filler. I realize now that I should have located it much higher.
Could someone with TJ flares please measure from the back of their jeep over 8 inches to the left and up from the bottom of the panel 6.25 inches? That is the location of the bottom left corner bolt for my new location. If it interferes a tiny bit I could live with that. I just need someone to get a ballpark measurement before I pull the trigger on new TJ flares.
Thanks in advance

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It will be close. Looking at you pic, worst case you might need to trim that bottom corner of the filler. My TJ flares went right up to the body seam when I installed them.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just cut the flare. Did this to clear my rockers. Could easily do the same for the filler. I used a very thin angle grinder blade, cut like butter.

F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I measured mine. Its gonna overlap a bit. You're gonna have to notch your flare like above I think.

This is a wag in the dark with me trying to hold a camera and a tape measure.. only have 2 hands. The angle makes it look like the tape is out past the body in back but its pretty close.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
I measured mine. Its gonna overlap a bit. You're gonna have to notch your flare like above I think.

This is a wag in the dark with me trying to hold a camera and a tape measure.. only have 2 hands. The angle makes it look like the tape is out past the body in back but its pretty close.

Thanks dillonjim
looks like it may just cover up the bottom left corner bolt but looks like there will be enough room to get gas cap on and off with no problem.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.