Think I need a battery for winching? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Think I need a battery for winching?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
JOKER4INK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Think I need a battery for winching?

So a buddy of mine got his Ford Exploder stuck up to the bottom of the doors the other day. I found out about this, so I offered to help him out by winching. This was my first time using my new (new to me) winch. Now it just snowed and dropped about 10 inches on where we were. I braved the elements and dredged into the foot high water and snow mixture to hook my winch cable to. I was all set and ready to go. I even put my front bumper on an abandoned car to ensure I wasnt going to go anywhere. Well, to make a long story short, the Exploder is still sitting there today. Why you ask? Well, I need a new battery I believe. The winch would not pull it. It sucked all the juice out of my 550cca battery. Ya know, when they say you need 650cca to winch, they really mean it. My Jeep actually shut off at one point while trying to winch because it sucked out so much juice. So, now what battery do I buy? Optima red top, yellow top, blue top? What would you suggest?

Unread 01-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER4INK
So a buddy of mine got his Ford Exploder stuck up to the bottom of the doors the other day. I found out about this, so I offered to help him out by winching. This was my first time using my new (new to me) winch. Now it just snowed and dropped about 10 inches on where we were. I braved the elements and dredged into the foot high water and snow mixture to hook my winch cable to. I was all set and ready to go. I even put my front bumper on an abandoned car to ensure I wasnt going to go anywhere. Well, to make a long story short, the Exploder is still sitting there today. Why you ask? Well, I need a new battery I believe. The winch would not pull it. It sucked all the juice out of my 550cca battery. Ya know, when they say you need 650cca to winch, they really mean it. My Jeep actually shut off at one point while trying to winch because it sucked out so much juice. So, now what battery do I buy? Optima red top, yellow top, blue top? What would you suggest?
yellow or blue is for winching. if you didn't totally kill your old one you can run a dual battery setup. bigger is always better. lol. also, a hand throttle to keep the rpm's up while winching would probably help as well. this will let the alternator put out more amps to help replenish the battery faster. but yeah, winching draws BIG amps, 200A+

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
skeletor

An alternator that put out more amps would be a good idea also if ya use your winch often....skeletor
skeletor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.