Think i know why my "new" Jeep does not have fuel preasure! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Think i know why my "new" Jeep does not have fuel preasure!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Think i know why my "new" Jeep does not have fuel preasure!

I bought this clean 1995 Rio Grande that has no rot a few weeks back. It had been off the road (based on the inspection sticker) since 2005! I did the computer brain surgery and reclaimed the spark and power to the fuel pump relay, but no pump.

Tonight I pulled the tank and found this! By golly, this just might be the culprit.... I have NEVER seen one this bad before!

image-326082864.jpg

image-542701509.jpg

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

tank flush and new fuel lines I'd say and I'd replace the pump as well
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, a line flush, new line filter, maybe a gallon of carb cleaner swished around the tank to wash it out... and a used pick up assembly. What I do need is the grommets that hold the top vent plugs on the top of the tank. Anyone know if Jeep still sells them? Or anyone that does?
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

After seeing that it's good it didn't start lol
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

that is not good
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
Yea, a line flush, new line filter, maybe a gallon of carb cleaner swished around the tank to wash it out... and a used pick up assembly. What I do need is the grommets that hold the top vent plugs on the top of the tank. Anyone know if Jeep still sells them? Or anyone that does?
try here for the parts you need for the fuel tank

http://www.mtscompany.com/index.htm
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a '93 Sahara a couple years back that looked the same. It had been sitting for a while with a bad D35, and I ended up replacing the entire fuel sending unit with a used one I found on eBay for $75.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I am pretty happy with my progress so far. After I replaced the capacitors on the computer and had spark, she fired right up on starting fluid and sounded great. ( For less than a minute anyway...)
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
jamesbland123
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh boy!

I would replace the whole assembly going into the tank. Rust falling off into the tank won't be good once you get things running.
jamesbland123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bring the tank to a radiator shop and have them hot dip it for a few hours, should clear it right out. Then definitely get new components to put back in, if not clean them up until the shiny metal underneath...
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbland123 View Post
Oh boy!

I would replace the whole assembly going into the tank. Rust falling off into the tank won't be good once you get things running.
Yea, there is no way that one is going back in! The only way would be if I could tear it down and sandblast it first. But I have a good one lined up, so it should just be a matter of flushing out the tank and lines.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

On mine, I just reached in thru the hole with a bunch of rags and wiped the crud out. I kept doing this until the rags came clean. Since its a plastic tank, there isn't any rust to really worry about, just the gunk and junk from the old sender unit and the slime from sitting. Acetone as a solvent will cut most of it. My jeep had sat for 10 yrs before I got it. The fuel pump looked like yours and it still ran for a month before it went. And then I got a new one and flushed and cleaned the whole system.
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I flushed the fuel lines by leaving in carb cleaner overnight, blew them out and flushed again until clean fluid came out. For the tank I used a half gallon of denatured alcohol, and a few 3' lengths of chain and swished it around. Dumped the crud out, rinsed with water (no detergent), then repeated. After the second time it was clean. Another alcohol rinse and a few hours in the sun to eliminate any water and it was ready to put back together. I replaced the fuel pump, filter, sender and screen, as well as a carb rebuild to get the whole system up to snuff.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.