Things to look for - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Things to look for

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-14-2001, 12:23 PM   #1
Gizmo

Things to look for

I am looking into buying a used 90-95 Wrangler. Can anyone give me some information on what to look for, and what things normally brake.

Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 02:45 PM   #2
SBgreenYJ

you want something 91 and after with a 6cylinder 4.0. All of those are Fuel Injected. Go with the 6 cylinder because of the more power. there are no differences in gas mileage. ask the buyer if he did use it for off road. check the undercarriage, see if all the seals are clean and there are little or no leaks. basically its the same check as any other car...one other thing is to see if the 4wd works, not on bare pavement or you'll bust up your transfer case but ask the seller or actually try it yourself. What are you looking to do with it? Do you plan on having it as a Daily Driver or the occasionaly off road. Good luck with your search! HTH
Unread 11-14-2001, 03:01 PM   #3
Gizmo

It will be for some off-roading, dialy driving to school and work. I Want spice it up a little: Lift, tires, wheels, etc.
Do all of the Jeeps after 91 have 6 cyl. or does it just depend.
What are things that brake just from everyday driving that were out...
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 09:44 PM   #4
YJOHN

THEY COME WITH THE 2.5 AS WELL ITS AND OK MOTOR BUT IF YOUR GOING OFF ROADING I WOULD GET A 4.0L
YJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2001, 07:46 AM   #5
Newfie

If you live anywhere where salt/sand is an issue (rust), make sure to check the frame behind the steering box and the rear rails where the springs attach as well as all the body mounts.
Unread 11-17-2001, 10:04 AM   #6
powjunkie

Crawl up underneath and look for any signs of leaks. While you're under there, grab the rear driveshaft twist it in both directions. You should have a small amount of play in either direction, but none if you shake it side-side. This is a quick way to check your gear wears and u-joints. Also, look under the hood for fluid leaks. Check around the exhaust manifold for leaks between it and the block. You should expect the clutch to go out around 75k, so ask about that. Another one I recently experienced is the radiator leaking at the top where the tank meets the fins. Definately want to go for the 4.0L fuel injected models. Happy hunting!
Unread 11-17-2001, 10:50 AM   #7
Pantera

If you do end up getting the 4-Banger, check out The 4-Bangers United web page... lot's of good info and very helpful people... I bought a 4-Banger and have done just as well off road and any of my I6 buddies... Of course, I've done a little beefing up
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.