Is there a splash guard under the engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is there a splash guard under the engine?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
MCTampa

Is there a splash guard under the engine?

I was changing the oil for the first time since I bought the car in April (first oil change was done by a mechanic because I needed my starter replaced anyway) and when I was under the car, I noticed a think plastic-type mat under the engine hanging a bit loose. I'm not sure what it does, but I just re-clamped it down and moved on. Does anyone know what this thing actually does?

Unread 12-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
YJ_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was always told it was some type of "splash guard" (hahaha it doesnt do its job well ) Mine is actually zip tied to the frame because I lost the screws that hold it on

"if ya can't duct it **** it"
[] IIIII []
YJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I took mine out years ago.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
I took mine out years ago.

NOOO!!! You should have left it there. The flapping plastic hanging down actually over rides the negative affects of the brick like shape of your jeep increasing your gas mileage by up to 10 mpg.

Actually it should be left if you do any water crossing. It will help build a bow wave in front of the jeep and keep the waterfrom gettiong into the fan blades. With the flap out the water that would normally push in front of the jeep is able to push up into the engine compartment, which could cause problems.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mine never had one
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Took it out as well years back, like in 91.
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

guess my jeep's previous owner removed it...

i made one out of tin that i planned to screw into the frame but i never got around to trimming/notchign it for steering and exhaust junk.... figured it was just easier to deal with a dirty engine compartment....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
LeJerk
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking for one of these for my 4 cylinder 2.5 liter 1995 Wrangler. I crossed some muddy water a while back and now my engine bay is painted completely brown. I can totally see water getting into the alternator or something else and frying it.

I had the splash guard installed, but it fell off last year and I never replaced. Big mistake. It will never be clean again. At the end of the trail I popped the hood I was shocked how muddy it was in my engine bay.

Does anyone have a part number for one of these?
LeJerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
trboxman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've never even heard of such a thing...
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ive only seen one, ever. I didnt think it was stock until now. I suppose you could just make one if it bothers you that much though
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine's still on there, and I reinforced the connections with coated wire. It's a heavy rubber mat that attaches to 4 points along the bottom of the radiator and 2 points on each side at the frame.

As Grape said, it works very well keeping the bow wave going and keeping the fan and shroud area clear on my frequent deep water crossings. I don't have an E fan to switch off when i go swimming.

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had one. But it was really nasty and beat up and it just sat on the D30 or flapped around... I took mine out too
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
LeJerk
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone have an intact one lying around that they don't want? I'll pay for shipping!
LeJerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see some pics of this installed.
Was it also there to promote air flow through the radiator instead of under/around it?
I'm asking because my 5.2 runs warm on the highway and I'm thinking of making one.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine had one too when I bought it new in 93.
I got tired of trying to keep it fastened and took it off long ago.
If I remember right it was held to the frame with the type of pins that hold the door panels on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.