Is there any way I can install an A/C in my YJ that never had one primarily? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is there any way I can install an A/C in my YJ that never had one primarily?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 10-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
astrainclinant

Is there any way I can install an A/C in my YJ that never had one primarily?

I've got a 1987 YJ that has only a heater. Yet, on the inside of my car the temperature controls read both Heat and A/C, the A/C was just never installed apparently. It gets really hot in my car and was wondering if it's possible to install an A/C and how much it might cost? Just a rough estimate. Thanks.

astrainclinant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are there air vents underneath the radio area? To install an AC system would cost around $1200 that's my guess... Of course I'm going off of how much it costs to convert a r12 system to a r134a system. I hope someone else will chime in.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1200 to 1500 is a pretty reasonable range. By controls you mean "Cool----------------Heat" ?

Because thats just the on/off for the heater. The A/c usually has the controls on a panel on the vents that hang where the ashtray/lighter socket is
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

talk to mbates below, he wants to get rid of his
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWELK View Post
talk to mbates below, he wants to get rid of his
Below what
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

this is the factory ac

here is the temp control and fan speed control

installed

mine came with it
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
SGVDanny
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrainclinant View Post
I've got a 1987 YJ that has only a heater. Yet, on the inside of my car the temperature controls read both Heat and A/C, the A/C was just never installed apparently. It gets really hot in my car and was wondering if it's possible to install an A/C and how much it might cost? Just a rough estimate. Thanks.
I see your in Corona Del Mar. There is a guy in Long Beach who does it for about $900 i think. I have his email. Hit me up if you need it.
SGVDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well if you have a car you might want to go ask in a car forum
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.