Are there any good vinyl window repair products out there? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Are there any good vinyl window repair products out there?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are there any good vinyl window repair products out there?

Yesterday, while loading a handtruck in my Jeep, I bumped the year softop window, and heard a loud "crack". (It was 20 degrees at the time). Now, I have a nice three pronged crack in the window, (no hole though). The top is at least 10 years old, so it is time for a new one anyway, but in the meantime, I would like to fix the cracks so I could roll the window up if I need to. After it gets warmer of course!

Are there any good clear vinyl repair products that have worked for you?

EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you're talking about the soft top windows, you can take them to an upholstery shop and they can sew new clear or tinted windows in. I'm doing all three of my soft windows (getting tinted windows) for 75 bucks at an upholstery shop soon.
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you are getting a new top soon just use clear packing tape to keep the wind and rain out for now. Make sure you clean the vinyl off with soap and water before applying the tape.
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
Yesterday, while loading a handtruck in my Jeep, I bumped the year softop window, and heard a loud "crack". (It was 20 degrees at the time). Now, I have a nice three pronged crack in the window, (no hole though). The top is at least 10 years old, so it is time for a new one anyway, but in the meantime, I would like to fix the cracks so I could roll the window up if I need to. After it gets warmer of course!

Are there any good clear vinyl repair products that have worked for you?
I opted for the less transluscent approach... Mine broke when temps got down to low single digits and I bumped it (I'm seeing a trend here) with a 2 X 4. I was getting ready to drive it and was furious with myself. I ended up just using Gorilla tape. I figured that since it was shot, I'd rather have a nice big square of black tape that I knew would stay stuck (my plastic windows have a medium tint) rather than the clear tape that would peel off in the weather. That happened a month or so ago and looks just like it did when I finished putting the tape on.

It should work until I get around to repainting the hard top and doors.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.