Is there anothe vehicle that used the same rear glass struts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is there anothe vehicle that used the same rear glass struts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is there another vehicle that used the same rear glass struts?

I have a YJ hardtop on my TJ because I bought it on accident, I modified it to fit, which it does, but poorly. The rear struts are pretty tired, it drops down to just about forehead level, which as you can imagine hurts when you run into it. I lost my job on Tuesday, which leaves me more time to work on the jeep, but obviously a lot less income.
Is there another vehicle that uses the same strut? Lots of junkyards around, but I don't know how to cross reference the strut. I thought maybe someone else had the same idea, and maybe knows the answer.
I like the CJ spring tubes, because they don't wear out and drop the window on your head.

Unread 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

just remove one of yours and take it to the junkyard with you. match it up with one there that is good.
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Might as well.
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
kingofkings
2000 TJ Wrangler 

autozone or avanced or walmart sells the struts. usually only a few bucks to. they have a bunch of different sizes
kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was at Autozone, they wanted about $28 per strut. That's a lot more than a few bucks! DOH! I didn't make it there today, spent too much time at the scrap steel yard. Hard not to, at $0.35/lb. Came home with about 150lbs. Oops. I plan to make a few bumpers, two will be mine, and the other I will sell to pay for the materials.
But, back to the struts.
I found a handful of them online, but the part numbers didn't seem to cross reference to any other vehicles. I will probably have to settle for something close, as long as it isn't longer.
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
letitloose06
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up some used lift struts at a bone yard a couple of years ago. They went bad in about 6 months. You can get a set of new ones from rockauto.com for about $25 shipped.
1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2's, 8.8 Rear, HP30 front, 4.10's, SYE and CV Driveshaft, Taurus Electric Fan, 136 A GC Alternator, Grand Prix Seats, RR HD Steering, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer -- Build Thread
letitloose06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A follow up.
I spent an hour or so in the junkyard the other day, and found a set from an older Ford Windstar that were the right length, so I thought. Problem was, they didn't compress far enough, and they were really hard to close. I had to remove one, and even then, it was difficult. With both on, no way was it shutting. I guess the Ford tailgate is really heavy. Heh!
I am going to return them today.
I think there probably is nothing else close, I tried just about everything out there. I might try a few more, but will likely end up ordering new ones.
It was worth a shot.
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
jmmorgan82

A little more than you wanted to spend, but here's a pair on Ebay
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.