thanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > thanks

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-30-2002, 11:04 AM   #1
patrick-phelps

engine change

I am a new used jeep owner and I want to change the engine. I have no clue of what to research this. I don't want to change the trany nor rear end but if I have to then I guess I do. Can anybody help in this matter. If I should go to a bigger engine or should I just rebuild then four banger that I have. The jeep is a 89 wrangler and a real peice of junk. Trying to change it though.

patrick-phelps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #2
StumpJumper

There are soooooo many factors in answering this question. What will you use the Jeep for? Daily driver, trail only, mixed, etc.
Some rigs wheel with the 4 cyl, some with the 6 and some go to a v8 swap. From what I've seen, the price goes up with the size and power of the engine. Basically, due to added work to be done to match the rest of the drivetrain up and handle the added power.
You need to cruise the board and do some searching. There are a ton of personal sites out there that detail what has been done. Take your time and drive your Jeep. You will learn a great deal of what it can and can't do. There's a bunch more stuff to worry about with a Jeep than the engine. Of course, if it don't run, you pretty much need to worry about it, huh?
Again, take your time and read as much as possible. Find a 4x4 shop in your town and go down and talk with them.
Look through the profiles on this board. Some point to personal pages I mentioned and you can see these guys's rigs. There is so much creativity in the work these guys do, it's incredible. There is no limit to what can be done.

Good luck and welcome to the madness.

Stump
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:56 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

{ clapping hands }

Well said StumpJumper.

I personally have done 2 engine swaps on my Jeep, 1 on a friends, 1 on another friends .. and so on and so forth .. and the thing that keeps popping up is the route to go. I am about to start another engine swap on another friends Jeep (XJ) to an AMC 304ci engine .. it looks like it will fit .. now to hope that the frame can take the power, and the axles would as well.

You should sit down and read back at least a months worth of messages and see what people have done. Also, check the Registry section .. many people have posted their stats with pictures of their rigs.

Another thing to do is decide what an engine swap would do for you and your Jeep. Are you looking for more power? Are you looking to go taller? Are you looking for a way to say "I got more horses under my little Jeep than you have in your Mustang" .. or whatever?

I wouldn't say your Jeep is a piece of junk ... its a piece of art that isn't finished yet
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 07:16 AM   #4
patrick-phelps

thanks

The reason I am interested in your thoughts is becasue I have no idea where to start. I don't want to change the trany nor rear end. I would like to either rebuild the four banger or switch to a six. I have been told that this can be done with out switching the trany adn rear end. I am not looking to to go fast nor looking for extreme power. I just want something reliable that won't break down or require allot of modifications nor cost a fortune. Thanks for the help.
patrick-phelps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
UPnOVER

If you put a 6 in you will have to change the tranny. Rebuild the 4 good on gas and reliable.
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Merged messages.. they looked like they should have been together ..

Not a problem with the help .. its what we love to do .. and someday, when I have a question, I am sure that you would have the answer too

Now, as far as swapping the engine goes, there are a few engines that will bolt to the 2.5 tranny. A fairly easy swap would be to steal a 1992 tranny and t-case and bolt in a Chevy 350 using Advance Adapters products which could make the swap easy. They offer bell-housings, motor mounts and such. Visit Painless Wiring's website for information about their wiring that could make wiring the engine simpler.

There are non-standard swaps that could also be completed .. I heard that the AMC 304 might hook up to the AX5 in the 2.5l engine .. but haven't heard enough about that one to make any judgement calls on it.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 01:39 PM   #7
Paulwpetrea

There are some articles here I have found, that may help you:

Engine Specific

|[URL=http://www.livingincebu.com/]Living In Cebu[/URL]|[URL=http://www.cebutours.com/]CebuTours.com[/URL]|[URL=http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb]LinC Forums[/URL]|
Paulwpetrea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:24 PM   #8
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i hope he didnt just say what i think he said about a 4 banger good on gas.. mine gets 15 MAYBE 18 BIG IF, nothing higher since i owned it, the 6 banger gets the same if not better (my buds 4.0 gets much better then i do) he gets 19-20
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 08:25 AM   #9
UPnOVER

Is that because you try to drive it like an I6?
I you drive an I4 at a 4 banger speed it will get better gas mileage. Do a tune-up and if that do not do it you might have a bigger problem.
Unread 08-01-2002, 10:09 AM   #10
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

nope dont drive it like an i-6 unless im running late... which is not often then it still dont even come close the only speed i have ever got good milage was when the eway was slowed to 35mph due to heavy snow.... went 60 miles on less then a 1/8th tank, anything after that and it drops off, and i have done a couple full tune ups
Unread 08-01-2002, 02:13 PM   #11
UPnOVER

I would have to say that the 180,000 is you bad MPG.
Unread 08-01-2002, 10:54 PM   #12
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

come drive and see... best driving vehicle i have ever had, no smoke, no leaks, and no noises other then the squeaky front leaf i have... and my buddy had a 4 popper rebuilt at 90000, his dad builds race engines and rebuilt the 4 popper 30 over for him, mine runs better then his did before he sold it if you have a four popper that gets more then 18 i would love to see it.... unless your just never ever going on the highway, mine is all back and forth to iowa, chicago, for the first 119000 and now its all highway to ann arbor and rochester michigan, at 70 miles one way, city i get around 18 if its strictly city, i hit the highway and it drops to 15 over all... if it wernt for the lack of power (that i would like) that the four has i wouldnt even bother yanking it, im almost contemplating seeing how far into the 200000 range it will go.... milage doesnt mean much when its taken care of extremely well, it does to a point but with the new oils we have now-days wear isnt near the factor it used to be on miles, i have experience with this... ever pulled a oil pan off a quickie lubed all its life 120000 mile vehicle?? usually there is an astonishing amount of sludge, this is from the fact most quickie lubes use reclaimed oil that does not have the detergents, keep this in mind... now go pull an oil pan off a 250000 mile done all your oil changes from the penzoil bottle yourself kind of car, it will be clean, very little to no sludge compared to the quickie lubed car, this also applies to transmissions in a way too... find an old transmission out of say a chevy they havnt changed too much over all these years, the older one with the same milage will show much more wear then the newer one with the same milage, the newer trans (given no major modifications in materials) will show much less wear, my dad just had a new trans put in our 230000 mile suburban, there was nothing wrong with the trans itself, the mechanic said that if he had another torque converter he would have just put that in... (the rebuilt trans he put in was the same price as a torque converter) he said the paint marks from the factory hadnt even worn off, he was amazed... but given we would have had to wait 2 weeks for the converter to come in and he had a trans right there for it, same price you can see what we did... Its all in your oil, we own 1992 suburban 240000 miles now... 1985 vette 205000, 1985 s-10 201000, 85 buick station wagon 250000 + but the speedo broke then all we got out of it was 50 bux and the engine ran excellent but the seat fell through the floor (rusty jones rust proofing was a ripoff made it rust worse)sold that last month though, 1994 jeep yj 180000, 96 cadillac eldorado 60000 78 trans am 60000, 73 apollo 38000, god my house sounds like a used car lot.... my point milage doesnt matter -- by the way that SUBURBAN with 240000 highway gets right around 20mpg 2wd
Unread 08-01-2002, 10:54 PM   #13
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

holy cow that was long!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.