TFI Distributor Timing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TFI Distributor Timing?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-02-2001, 06:20 PM   #1
Brendan

TFI Distributor Timing?

I was talking to a guy about his weber and he said that once he got it one his jeep went out of timing twice in the next week (unrelated to the carb). I asked about this on this forum and everyone said that he didn't know what he was talking about. Then I was looking at the TFI juice box upgrade and it said that I would have to adjust my timing a little bit to get it to run perfectly. What are they talking about? I'm assuming a big name company on the internet isn't blowing smoke up my ***. I mean that info was tuning information. What is adjusting the timing. ANd how do you do it?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2001, 07:59 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

You will need a timming light you can get a cheap one off of JC whitney or maybe walmart
do not pay more than 20.00 bucks for it.
Mine is now set at 9 degrees btc you can play with it you may run better at 10 or lower just depends on your set up.Like carb or any other mods you may have added you will
know when you got it right.Just make sure your jeep is at opp.temp. Take it for a spin after you put it on let it get warm.190.Then set your timming count the slash marks on the
harmonic balancer.with timming light running
and turn your distributor lock it down check again you may have to turn right or left
to get at 9-12 degrees btc.I put the juice box on mine I love it!My timming is set at 9btc with a weber carb.
Unread 12-03-2001, 08:13 PM   #3
Brendan

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. I guess I'm just stupid. Are you changing the timing on the engine, meaning the cam vs crank? Or is this something on the distributor. Pretend you are trying to explain this to a girl.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2001, 08:40 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Well there all happly tied in together.But for me to explain how to set I will go this route.Your distributor controls the timming of the spark to the cylinder.Every time the rotor turns past the sparkplug wire it sending a charge of electric current to the spark plugs.It all happens very fast look at your tac.0-6000rpms thats up to 6,000 times per minute.What you are doing is setting the timming of the spark to the cylinder.By doing this you will most likley
need a timming light.The distributor has a bolt on it.When you loosen it the distributor
will move right and left.That will help set your timming.Ok on your viewing point is the bottom pully.The big pully at the very bottom
If you look closely"you may have to turn it by hand or bump the engine over tell you see it"And maybe clean it off also".You will see the noch or line on the harmonic balancer.You should also see the scale it will have numbers or line marks If it has numbers it will be easyer but if it does not
you may have to count and guess,if it not right you will know it.Your timming light will connect to the #1 cylinder sparkplug wire very first one close to the radiator.The other 2 conectors plug on the batery RED+ black - With the ditributor bolt just loose enough to barely turn the distributor by hand and engine running at operating temperature.You may start. With the timming light pointed at the harmonic balancer the srobe will flash every time #1 hits.With the light fashing you will notice the notch it maybe off a little or a lot if its off alot then turn the distributor both ways slowly tell you find it.You may have to put the timming light down and walk to the side so not to get caught in the fan Or have someone to turn while you point the light.Once you have found this famous notch you can try to line it up to the scale 6to 8 or were it will run good. mine is set a 9 yours may run better at 8. On his TFI instructions he says 6 to 8 you can try that also. If you have a chilton or haynes manual it will better help you understand.Haynes being better for tune ups.After you get it set tighten the disributor bolt back down then recheck the timming to make sure you didnt move the distributor as you were tighting it. Then test drive and check for performance.if its not running right do it again tell its right.Sorry if this is choppy but kinda hard to explain on the internet...Hope this helps.
Unread 12-04-2001, 11:22 AM   #5
glm 87 wrangler

Oh almost forgot to tell you dont forget to plug your distributor vacuum advance on the distributor.While you are setting the timming
then put back on after complete.Do this agian
once you recheck to make sure it is still set.
Its the only vacuum hose going to the distributor.Plug it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.