tf999 problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tf999 problem

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #16
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I'd go back to the starter. (Are you getting them from Autozone? I've had terrible results there). I had one starter (Autozone) where the gear did not fully retract and would erratically touch the flywheel. One experiment would be to space the starter out with a washer at each bolt and see if that changes anything.
thanks for your help jay-h. if anything the starter seems to short. last weeks flexplate grinded a mark into the nose cone. ( right at the end of the bendex gear slide). & yes it is from autozone. i did a search and this starter part number is the same for the 1991 4.0 engine as well. i have heard that 4.0 startets wont work on a 4.2. should i try to exchange the starter. and if so for what?

jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x4 View Post
thanks for your help jay-h. if anything the starter seems to short. last weeks flexplate grinded a mark into the nose cone. ( right at the end of the bendex gear slide). & yes it is from autozone. i did a search and this starter part number is the same for the 1991 4.0 engine as well. i have heard that 4.0 startets wont work on a 4.2. should i try to exchange the starter. and if so for what?
I had repeated problems with AZ starters, they would replace them each time but I did not want to riske screwing up my flywheel teeth. You can get an OEM I believe from Quadratec, also I think that NAPA actually offers a couple of grades.

However I bit the bullet and got a Mean Green, which was probably overkill but has been quite satisfactory.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

yea its like the nose cone on the starter is not long enough. no one offers a longer nosed starter. my original flexplate teeth where shinny and a little chipped on the side facing the engine. but I don't recall this noise when starting. also my original starter was shaped different around where it sits in the circle (dust shield). I don't want to destroy all this new stuff
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For what it's worth, the mean Green starter does not have a cone.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55111_5002.htm

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

is it possible the rebuilt engine i put in was a 1987 whitch would need a differant starter? the guy told me it eas a 89. the head bolts on it are the same size as my 90 engine. would that cause the flex plate to sit back more to the tranny?
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are two different starter styles used on the 4.2. A motorcraft ford style and a Mitsubishi style. You might have the opposite one that fits your flywheel. I have a 98 block in my 87 and it uses a ford style starter with a solenoid that hangs on the firewall.
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #22
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
There are two different starter styles used on the 4.2. A motorcraft ford style and a Mitsubishi style. You might have the opposite one that fits your flywheel. I have a 98 block in my 87 and it uses a ford style starter with a solenoid that hangs on the firewall.
ok. so does the ford starter stick in to the tranny more? i dont no whats going on that original clank noise is gone since the new torque converter. but lats night it sounded ok . then i re- started it like a hour later.(added a ground to starter) and at idle it sounded like a diesel . i thought it was coming from the rockers standing up. than i crawled under and its from inside bellhousing. im at my end bro. im going to call the guy i got the 4.2 from today. he gave me a 12,000 - 1 year on it. i just feel like its in the tranny. but maybe not. i pulled plugs one at a time & no change. there is no for or aft play in thrust bearing. oh and the flexplate is a z-187 from APT. advance auto. thanks allot for your help man..
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its something about the flywheels having to match the starter. i don;t remember but it took me a few stores to get the right starter for my jeep. the guys on here are the reason i knew about it and was able to find the right one.

i will try and search for the info again. it was about a year ago i went through this
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #24
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...blems-1001387/
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #25
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

i was searching and see that the ford starters bolt up through the bottom. so that idea is out the window.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine is a ford starter and it is side bolts. bottom bolts are chevy starters in the 80s. they will bolt in and the flywheels will interchange too
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #27
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

this is a mitsubishi style

and this is a ford style
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
this is a mitsubishi style

and this is a ford style
ok. cool. im gonna try that one i guess. its like there is a bend in one spot on the flexplate. starter sounds like ra ra ra clunk ra ra ra clunk. lol... all 4 flexplates cant have been bent in the same way
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

Update.. so the shop i got the new engine called & said noise is gone. they found a flexplate that is from 79-88 and noise is gone. they are charging me $750. im a little pissed. when i bought the 4.2 from him he told me it was a 1989. so the flexplate i got was a Z187. 1988-90. if he would have new the correct year i would'nt have gone through this & tried replacing 4 flexplates that cracked and a new torque converter that cracked too. what do you guys think?? im gonna pick jeep up saterday morning and it better be silent.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I finally decided to retire my 258 (after a long and successful life), I ordered an engine from Jasper and they were very particular about getting my serial number and matching a compatible one. Perhaps this is part of the reason. (I wouldn't have thought it that critical)

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.