tf999 to ax-15 lost - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
gingengineer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

tf999 to ax-15 lost

well for the last month it sat but i had swapped in a 96 xj ax-15 and np231 because the tf999 was slipping and im not a big fan of auto and didnt want to buy 4 kits to rebuild something i wouldnt be happy with so i had a few hang ups getting it in but it is in and has been i lost steam while trying to figure out what bolt i needed for the starte but i got it and attempted yesterday to swap the pedals and thats where i need help guys.

i bought 2nd half yj pedals since its a 92 i removed the old auto pedal which was a bit of a pain but i got the new ones in and theres no brake light switch mount on them or a sight of the braket being removed so im not sure there. so i removed the clutch maste plate from the firewall and the holes didnt line up with the mount studs so a set of tin snips alleviated that. i got the master and slave Assembly in i had to drill out the nylon eye for the pedal as the post was bigger than the hole. but my big issue is that theres not enough pressure to engage the the clutch fork theres plenty of pressure i went to bleed it today and realived the slave bleed screw is stripped (thanks to the rust from brake fluid of prior bleedings)
so ill probably replace the assembly. my other major issue is that the brake pedal for some reason doesnt have the riveted post of the auto for the eyelet of the brake master to connect to theres a hole though so ive got a bolt but its loose due to one hole being larger than the other significantly and i only have 3 inches of brake pedal travel i had much more befor but now the pedal sits much farther back also im not sure if theres a nuteral safety switch i attempted to start it and i hear the fuel pump prime and all just no crank if there is can someone please tell me how to bypass it. to remedy the brake light swith and the brake pedal post issue im thinking of swapping the old mount and brake after cutting the width of the brake for the auto and using the shaft with the clutch pedal in place.

so to review:
unsure of neutral safety switch may need to bypass if there is one
pedal assembly missng brake light switch accommodations
no post for master cylinder to engage brake pedal
clutch pedal feels like there should be enough pressure but no neutral
brake pedal has minimal travel and doesnt sit in right position

sorry i was an idiot and didnt think to take any pictures

any and all help will be greatly apreciated ive searched most of the forums and no one really seems to do the write ups for this swapp or hasnt covered them and i just didnt see what i was in need of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 AM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Without breaking out "zee book" (which I will do as soon as I'm able too); swapping from auto to stick you will probably have to bypass the NSS circuit on your ECM. Auto's have a neutral safety switch when they are in Park, but the manual YJ's don't have an NSS, so that's probably why it's not starting.

If no one beats me to it I'll break out my FSM once the days errands and activities are finished, and try to find the answers to your other concerns.

Pictures? Pictures are for people with no imagination!
post #3 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
gingengineer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so how can i remove the circuit. i was thinking of just cutting out the sensor and wiring it so that the ecm always thought it was there i wasnt sure if there was one. much appreciated

and i try to be as descriptive as possible ill prob find a ride to my buddies house where its at and snag some pictures and get it up for it to be more self explanitory
post #4 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 AM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Without having the wiring diagram in front of me, I'll venture to say that the NSS either provides continuity between two circuits, or it provides a ground as a reference signal. I'll check that too, but I'm relatively certain that others on the forum have dealt with the issues your having. It's just a matter of giving them time to see your post and respond to it once they've clocked out for the day.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
gingengineer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i kinda forgot that not everyone has the same shift as me im navy and were off for 2 weeks
i dont really wanna go cutting wires just yet so ill wait for a definate answer i really apreciate it though
post #6 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Kuntryboy816
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
4.2- NSS not connected to ECM

4.0- Can't really help ya there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
gingengineer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well i ended up putting the automatic brake pedal in it came back to where it used to be but not i have one large continuous pedal for my break and clutch ill need a cordless grinder to correct that
and my budy sent me a diagram and an image of the port for the sensor and what each wire does so when i get my wire tool and connector(think the same buddy has them) ill get that done and then all ive got to do is replace the slave cyl or potentially the whole assembly
Attached Thumbnails
20151223_163148.jpg  

Last edited by gingengineer; 12-23-2015 at 05:02 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't try to use the pedal for the automatic, you can get the entire mount including pedals for a manual from a junk yard if you look around. Additionally, there are likely Jeepers on here who have done Manual tranny to Auto tranny swap and have their old system in a Pile O' Parts in the garage or barn...

I will search out a thread that has pictures of a manual pedal assembly.

Well, that was disappointing. Found the thread but the photos are DEAD. Maybe you could PM the OP and he could perhaps fix that/repost the images. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ement-1016134/

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing shown to be different in the FSM diagram is that the YJ's "Pedal Shaft" is different for the auto and manual transmission pedals. It's not addressed in the FSM, but I wonder if the "Pedal Support" or bracket is different for the two. That could do it.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
...Found the thread but the photos are DEAD. Maybe you could PM the OP and he could perhaps fix that/repost the images. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ement-1016134/
^^^ This. The FSM doesn't show the assembly removal, only the individual pedal removals. It must be a different bracket used for auto and manual pedal assemblies.
post #11 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 10:16 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible from the FSM wiring diagram.

With a manual transmission, the YJ only has a "BACKUP LAMP SWITCH (LEFT SIDE OF TRANSMISSION)", which completes the circuit to you backup lamps...go figure.

With an automatic transmission it has a "BACKUP / NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH (LEFT SIDE OF TRANSMISSION)".

Now, the wires to the backup lamp part of the switch are both 18 gauge, one is Brown/Green, and the other is Yellow/Black.

The wire for the automatics Neutral Safety Switch is also 18 gauge, it is Black/White, and it's sole purpose is to provide a ground signal.

The wires come from a 10 pin black connector at the right rear of the engine. The Black/White wire for the NSS is in pin 2 of this connector from the Starter Relay. For a manual transmission YJ, this wire is a solid black jumper from pin 2, back into pin 3, and then into a splice that spiderwebs out.

Long story short: If you are able to jump from pin 2 to pin 3, you should be good. If you don't have a jumper there, you should be able to splice the two wires together on the chassis side of the connector for the same end result. Pins 2 & 3, the wires are Black/White in pin 2, and Black in pin 3.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-23-2015, 10:18 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingengineer View Post
... im navy ...
P.S. - Thank you for your service.
(I'm an old AMMO troop and I approve this message...Hell Yeah!)
post #13 of 32 Old 12-24-2015, 02:39 AM
rogerv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did this very same swap 3 or 4 years ago. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you what I did with the neutral safety switch. It' is really easy.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

If it's not broke- modify it, so it won't break
post #14 of 32 Old 12-25-2015, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
gingengineer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sorry for no response yesteray i had a 24 hour shift. i got the manual assembly in but instead of the shaft from the auto i puth the manual shaft with the clutch pedal attached it all works and lines up i just have the pedals touching is all the wierd bracket that these all connect to that goes from the firewall to the dash support thing ar the same its just that my manual one doesnt have the mount for the brake light switch it shows no sign of ever having one either(cuts or welds) and my manual brake pedal also didnt have the little L shape thing that contacted the brake light switch. the other thing is the riveted on bushing for the eye of the brake master wasnt there just a hole. so i ended up putting the braket and pedal in i just plan to cut it i have the manual braket and the manual brake pedal just sitting. i plan to just bypass the nss at the connector just to get it running then ill bridge it more appropriately later. i will try and figure out the reverse lights using a magnetic switch so that when the shifter is near it the lights come on thats another day though

so to get her going i plan to replace the slave then bleed it. cut the nss and bypass it and, cut my continuous pedal.
all the help has been much apreciated. also if im setting myself up for catastrophic failure some one please tell me where
post #15 of 32 Old 12-26-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
gingengineer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so my jeep brethren and sisteren i need help i made short work of the brake pedal with a hacksaw. i got a new slave in sadly there was no new roll pin which is kinda agrovating since the old one was rusted but i managed to get the old into the new with minimal damage. now the issue i bypassed my nss and itll crank now but no starting its kinda agrovating since i kinda need it to start goin asap. does anyone have any idea what it might be? i hear the fuel pump prime its got a 1/4 tank of fuel so im not sure what it may be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.