TF999 to AW4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TF999 to AW4

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TF999 to AW4

I know there is a bunch of threads on this topic... I tried searching and didnt come up with much. But any of you guys who have done this swap... if there is any info you can provide... it would be much appreciated!

I picked up an AW4 out of a 99 cherokee. It has the flex plate, wiring harness, torque converter all on a transmission with a fresh rebuild. I figure I am going to have to do the following:

Remove all of my column shift linkage
Swap to a floor shifter
New crossmember
Splice wiring harness
lengthen/shorten driveshafts

My questions are... It did not come with the TCM. Will any AW4 TCM work? Also, what kinda wire splicing am I looking at having to do here? I have seen some writeups online a few on STU's page... but most of those are guys going from already electronic controlled transmissions to another. My 999 does not have any electronics. So once again, any tips or info would be appreciated!

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A simple answer yes but you will need a little more. TCU from about any should work now you will need to add the connection for the speed sensor to you existing one for the ECU. I hoped you also picked up the torque converter too. Now you could have used you existing column shifter. You would have had to adjust it to where park, reverse, neutral, drive( which becomes over drive) are correct position but drive(2) and 1-2 (1)would not be in the right place. Since the aw4 does not use first by itself use that position as a combined position.There are some write ups on adding some switches to have the aw4 to hold first by flipping a switch or making it manual shifting and torque converter lockup. Oh one other thing the 99 flex plate will not work for your ECM sorry.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Oh one other thing the 99 flex plate will not work for your ECM sorry.
Yep, I got the TC, but why won't the 99 flex plate work?

Unread 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ5 View Post
Yep, I got the TC, but why won't the 99 flex plate work?
Wrong cuts for crank position sensor 99 has with 3 x3 groups of larger cuts. Where the 91 has multi smaller cuts in between the groups of 3 .
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
... Now you could have used you existing column shifter. You would have had to adjust it to where park, reverse, neutral, drive( which becomes over drive) are correct position but drive(2) and 1-2 (1)would not be in the right place.
One correction here... you cannot use the YJ column shifter to shift the AW4. You will need to either use an XJ shifter and cable and modify them to work in the YJ or buy a Rock/Rail Shifter combo from RADesigns. Those are the only two options you have for a shifter in the YJ. You can kludge something else together but I've never seen anything else work reliably. The dozen or so column setups I've seen all sucked.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had no intention of using my stock column shifter. But the flex plate part interests me. Is the bolt pattern on the AW4 torque converter different than the TF999 TC? In other words, would my 91 YJ flex plate and ring bolt up to the AW4 torque converter?

Unread 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

No, they will not.

Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Looks like I am on the hunt for a 91 flex plate then... what year range will work?

Unread 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Any flex plate from any year AW4 will work. '87 to '01

Doug Patton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about it...
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #10
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Any flex plate from any year AW4 will work. '87 to '01
But I have a flex plate off of the 99 Cherokee which was mated to the AW4... the issue is still with the CPS holes correct?

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

I was referring to using the TF999 parts trying to mate to the AW4. The '99 flex plate will work and the TPS will work same as it did in the XJ. When I did my conversion, I simply transferred the engine and tranny from the XJ directly into the YJ and reconnected up the wiring using the original TCM/wiring harness and a YJ engine harness.

Doug Patton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about it...
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gotya... Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Oh one other thing the 99 flex plate will not work for your ECM sorry.
So to clarify then... this statement is false?

I have a 91 YJ, with a 4.0 & TF999, I have an AW4 from a 99 XJ with a 4.0, I plan to use the flexplate off the XJ with my YJ 4.0 and CPS.

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

No, actually he is correct. I forgot about the ECM changeover in '96. The correct statement is "Any flex plate from any year AW4 will work. '87 to '95

In stand corrected.

Doug Patton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about it...
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Okay... now I'm getting somewhere! hahaha. I need an 87-95 flex plate.

Unread 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
One correction here... you cannot use the YJ column shifter to shift the AW4. You will need to either use an XJ shifter and cable and modify them to work in the YJ or buy a Rock/Rail Shifter combo from RADesigns. Those are the only two options you have for a shifter in the YJ. You can kludge something else together but I've never seen anything else work reliably. The dozen or so column setups I've seen all sucked.
Then mine should not work huh?? That is the funny because mine works just fine. Has worked now for about two years the problem is the crank shaft engine side needs to be modified to work. This does take a little thinking about how to do the modification.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.