TF904/999 Differences and Swap Info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TF904/999 Differences and Swap Info

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

TF904/999 Differences and Swap Info

My buddy has a 4cyl auto with the 904 in it. Unfortunately the trans wasnt good anymore and he has to get a new one. He found a 999 for a good price, but for some reason the 904s are 3x the price around here. He was saying because of info that he had heard he would have to switch the axles, get an adapter plate, and use a different transfer case etc. From doing some research it doesnt seem like there would be anything near that much needed. So far all I have found the bellhousing needs swapped and driveshafts need swapped due to length. I thought Id ask the experts on here what all is needed to do the swap. Thanks for the info

Other:LED Tails and Herculined
TA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 999 and the bell housing is all one piece with trans. so not sure where you got your info from. also the reason the 904 costs more is cause they are alot more rare and hard to find. tell your buddy to just take his trans and have it rebuilt and reinstall it.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Haha just shows some of the misinformation thats rolling around the internet. I realize why the 904 is so much more expensive. Still, what all would be required to swap the two?
Other:LED Tails and Herculined
TA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

an adapter plate (if they even make one, which i highly doubt) 999 trans with torque converter, matching transfer case and may have to shorten/lengthen driveshafts
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.