Test an O2 sensor - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Test an O2 sensor

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I tested the O2 sensor per the FSM and it came back reading about 3.2 ohms. Does that mean it needs to be replaced?

I also installed a manifold from 1AAuto and that thing went on super easy. I didn't even have to use PB. I was able to see the crack in the old manifold and it was pretty bad. There was a crack about half way around one of the tubes. The engine is much more quiet.

scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post
I tested the O2 sensor per the FSM and it came back reading about 3.2 ohms. Does that mean it needs to be replaced?

I also installed a manifold from 1AAuto and that thing went on super easy. I didn't even have to use PB. I was able to see the crack in the old manifold and it was pretty bad. There was a crack about half way around one of the tubes. The engine is much more quiet.
That was just testing the heating element of the O2 sensor, should be between 5-7; infinity reading is bad. So unless you pull the voltage test, or getting a code from the computer then I say run it IMHO.

I had the same crack in my manifold, I was able to get away with just welding it, but it doesn't always work (sometimes you chase the crack). Glad to hear it is working well. Have to get some miles on there and see how the mileage goes.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOExFROMxNY View Post
From the 1994 Wrangler / Cherokee FSM. see if these help:
I hate to necro this thread, I got a reading of 0.8 ohms following this chart. Does that mean it's toast?
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a quick FYI, if you suspect a faulty O2 sensor and test appear to be inconclusive, you can get a new Bosch O2 sensor for around $20 from rockauto. I just replaced mine, it had 133,000 miles on it.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

O2 sensor heater should have 3-5 ohms(2 white wires). The signal line output to the ecu should be a voltage dc reading after it warms up (Usually within 30 seconds after start). The voltage output should be between 0-1vdc. normally around .4 volts.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
O2 sensor heater should have 3-5 ohms(2 white wires). The signal line output to the ecu should be a voltage dc reading after it warms up (Usually within 30 seconds after start). The voltage output should be between 0-1vdc. normally around .4 volts.
X2 I was just gonna say that... instead, I'll copy-paste my old post:

" I prefer NAPA or Bosch (if available). FWIW the O2 sensor is pretty easy to remember: You should roughly see between 3/10 of a volt (300mV) and about 8/10 of a volt (800mV) on the sense wire depending on warm-up and running conditions. It should vary over time with temperature, throttle opening, etc."

BTW this applies to pretty much all O2 sensors.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is a youtube video on checking them. Basically remove the sensor and clamp it into a vise. There are either 1 or 3 wires. If 3 wires it is heated, put one meter lead on the odd colored lead, the other lead to the chassis of the sensor. Set the voltmeter to low voltage, if you go to ohms you will destroy the unit. Then heat the business end with a torch, the voltmeter should read just under 1 volt if it is good. In the video, the sensor is heat to red hot. The sensor makes a comparison between inside and outside O2. Make certain the outside vent is not clogged.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.