Test an O2 sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Test an O2 sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Test an O2 sensor

How do you test an O2 sensor to make sure it's functioning properly? I'm getting about 11mpg and I'm going through everything that could be causing this bad of mileage to try and eliminate it. I've already done cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter. I'm going to pull off my throttle body and clean that out as well as all the sensors.

Any other suggestions on improving my mpg will be greatly appreciated! I'm not expecting 20+ but I would like to get back to around 14 or so.

Thanks!

Robby

Edit:

Also I do have a small exhaust leak in the manifold and I have a replacement on the way.

scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I replaced my intake/exhaust gasket, and welded my cracked manifold my MPG went up a bit. I haven't taken an exact measurement, but before driving back and forth to work prior to fixing I was almost empty after 2 weeks, this time I'm still over 3/4 tank.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

From the 1994 Wrangler / Cherokee FSM. see if these help:
02-sensor-info-1994-factory-service-manual_1.jpg   02-sensor-info-1994-factory-service-manual_2.jpg   02-sensor-info-1994-factory-service-manual_3.jpg  
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbley15 View Post
When I replaced my intake/exhaust gasket, and welded my cracked manifold my MPG went up a bit. I haven't taken an exact measurement, but before driving back and forth to work prior to fixing I was almost empty after 2 weeks, this time I'm still over 3/4 tank.
That seems like a huge improvement. My leak isn't horrible or anything but I can certainly tell it's there. I hope to see an improvement like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOExFROMxNY View Post
From the 1994 Wrangler / Cherokee FSM. see if these help:
Thanks! That's a huge help. If I am going to replace the O2 sensor what brand would you guys recommend?
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post
That seems like a huge improvement. My leak isn't horrible or anything but I can certainly tell it's there. I hope to see an improvement like that.

Thanks! That's a huge help. If I am going to replace the O2 sensor what brand would you guys recommend?
I prefer NAPA or Bosch (if available). FWIW the O2 sensor is pretty easy to remember: You should roughly see between 3/10 of a volt (300mV) and about 8/10 of a volt (800mV) on the sense wire depending on warm-up and running conditions. It should vary over time with temperature, throttle opening, etc. All measured to a ground point or batt negative. Only one wire is a sense wire; the other wires are for the heater that is built into the sensor, so don't be fooled.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Scifone, do you work for Sprint? Its likely the O2 sensor, the cheaper generics work ok too, you just have to swap the electrical connectors on them.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
I prefer NAPA or Bosch (if available). FWIW the O2 sensor is pretty easy to remember: You should roughly see between 3/10 of a volt (300mV) and about 8/10 of a volt (800mV) on the sense wire depending on warm-up and running conditions. It should vary over time with temperature, throttle opening, etc. All measured to a ground point or batt negative. Only one wire is a sense wire; the other wires are for the heater that is built into the sensor, so don't be fooled.
Thanks! That's very helpful. I'll test it out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Scifone, do you work for Sprint? Its likely the O2 sensor, the cheaper generics work ok too, you just have to swap the electrical connectors on them.
No, I am actually still in college. Why do you ask? I definitely like cheaper. Thanks.
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a friend that just took a job with Sprint in KC. They moved in somewhere around you in Lawrence. Scifone sounded like a knock on sciphone.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Haha got ya. Sorry man. Thanks for the input though.
Unread 04-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post

I wasn't expecting that much of an improvement either, but efficiency is efficiency.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbley15 View Post
I wasn't expecting that much of an improvement either, but efficiency is efficiency.
I hope I get that kind of improvement. I should be getting a new manifold from 1A Auto this afternoon. I'll report back with my findings.
Unread 04-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I changed my exhaust manifold on Sunday and so far, the only improvement besides the sound quality is increased throttle response at higher RPM and from a dead stop. I havent had enough time to see any improvement in gas mileage, but since I got this one APN Header our findings would be different anyways. Oh and be prepared with an angle grinder to get that manifold to fit properly. I had to grind off 1/8th of an inch from the outside of both sides of every intake port in order to get it to slide onto the head dowels.
thebeast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast64 View Post
I changed my exhaust manifold on Sunday and so far, the only improvement besides the sound quality is increased throttle response at higher RPM and from a dead stop. I havent had enough time to see any improvement in gas mileage, but since I got this one APN Header our findings would be different anyways. Oh and be prepared with an angle grinder to get that manifold to fit properly. I had to grind off 1/8th of an inch from the outside of both sides of every intake port in order to get it to slide onto the head dowels.
You had to grind the header in the link you provided or the one that 1A Auto sells?
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got my exhaust manifold from 1aauto and had no issues installing it. You can find my write up on it in the write ups section.
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuthhound View Post
I got my exhaust manifold from 1aauto and had no issues installing it. You can find my write up on it in the write ups section.
I've read through your writeup more than a couple times. Good work!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.