Teraflex shackle problem!! HELP!!! - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Teraflex shackle problem!! HELP!!!

Hey all! I've been building my Joop for 7 years and finally insured it yesterday (build thread to follow) however, I was driving through an intersection on the way to church this morning and heard a thud in the rear. Figured its a jeep and after such a long hibernation things will just settle. Got home and saw this. Help!!!?

Attached Thumbnails
image-3463088559.jpg  

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM
crackedcornish
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake Hopatcong
Posts: 1,242
Hmmm...inverted revolver. jack up the rear of the Jeep using the frame until the tire comes up off the ground, and try to flip it back the way it belongs

Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
So the closed part of the v should be to the back?

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
This is jacked up off the ground. Are they on wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
image-3788885300.jpg  

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 PM
crackedcornish
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake Hopatcong
Posts: 1,242
actually no... I just had a brain fart

what springs are you using, they look long

Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM
fratis
......
 
fratis's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hale'iwa
Posts: 5,092
How is that possibly going to work in the opposite orientation? Its not inverted.

-insert meaningless out-of-place political diatribe-
fratis is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Springs apparently came out of a Cherokee (lift kit)? It was probably 5 years ago. Would stock Cherokee springs be too long?

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 03:59 PM
flcracker
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Naples
Posts: 888
Silly question but what does the other side look like??

Not the sharpest bulb in the box....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
The other side.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2526443445.jpg   image-266471385.jpg  

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Louie4
Rickety Wrecked Son!
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesdoly View Post
Springs apparently came out of a Cherokee (lift kit)? It was probably 5 years ago. Would stock Cherokee springs be too long?
Yes. Most guys use them when stretching the wheel base.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 PM
redneck23ms
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: fort collins
Posts: 120
your springs are too long for those shackles to work. you will either need longer fixed shackles or move the shackle bushing back in the frame. i am running similar springs and have a similar issue but i have fixed length boomerang shackles an mine just touched the frame at full compression
redneck23ms is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler
 
TSEJEEPERS's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Morton IL
Posts: 5,483
You could also move the non shackle side foward.
One of the guys in our club runs XJ springs in the front with a shackle reversal. The springs are running in their stock position. (no wheelbase stretch)
The thing flexes better than any leaf spring vehicle that I have ever seen.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list. www.mijc.org
TSEJEEPERS is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Thanks for the replays gents. I'm looking into getting rubicon express 1.5 SOA leafs to replace the Cherokee leafs. Im hoping it won't change the ride height at all. Anyone have any experience with these or want to pipe in and disagree? Thanks again.

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 PM
PA_YJ19
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Altoona
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesdoly
Thanks for the replays gents. I'm looking into getting rubicon express 1.5 SOA leafs to replace the Cherokee leafs. Im hoping it won't change the ride height at all. Anyone have any experience with these or want to pipe in and disagree? Thanks again.
IMO I would just lose those shackles in the rear and replace them with a set of one inch lift boom shackles. Those shackles r working the way they should and u just don't like them banging off the frame? Most people I no that run those teraflex shackles only run them in the front because they don't like the loading and unloading while driving if the speed up quick or slow down real fast. When ur stretched it just seems sorta impractical if u plan on driving it on the street. If ur looking for max flex and dont care at all about street manners then just leave them alone and mayb reinforce the frame above to withstand the impact of the shackle. Otherwise I would just use a diff shackle in the rear, switching springs would work but ur not gona like how much flex ur gonna lose with stock length springs verse the ones u have now. Ur setup looks good, I would just opt for a diff style shackle in the rear and it'll drive nice n smooth on the road. Ull still get plenty of flex with a set of booms back there.
PA_YJ19 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
nesdoly
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

IMO I would just lose those shackles in the rear and replace them with a set of one inch lift boom shackles. Those shackles r working the way they should and u just don't like them banging off the frame? Most people I no that run those teraflex shackles only run them in the front because they don't like the loading and unloading while driving if the speed up quick or slow down real fast. When ur stretched it just seems sorta impractical if u plan on driving it on the street. If ur looking for max flex and dont care at all about street manners then just leave them alone and mayb reinforce the frame above to withstand the impact of the shackle. Otherwise I would just use a diff shackle in the rear, switching springs would work but ur not gona like how much flex ur gonna lose with stock length springs verse the ones u have now. Ur setup looks good, I would just opt for a diff style shackle in the rear and it'll drive nice n smooth on the road. Ull still get plenty of flex with a set of booms back there.
Did a bit of digging and that sounds like a better option. I would rather not have to fork out that cash as I'm saving up for an exo cage. So the revolvers are good up front? I've got some ugly diy lift shackles for the front that I need to gusset because there's some give in my steering would love to replace them with the revolvers. Wonder if that would help...

The Ultimate Fighter---Jesus Never Tapped
nesdoly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome