JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Teraflex shackle problem!! HELP!!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/teraflex-shackle-problem-help-1531432/)

nesdoly 06-02-2013 02:49 PM

Teraflex shackle problem!! HELP!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all! I've been building my Joop for 7 years and finally insured it yesterday (build thread to follow) however, I was driving through an intersection on the way to church this morning and heard a thud in the rear. Figured its a jeep and after such a long hibernation things will just settle. Got home and saw this. Help!!!?

crackedcornish 06-02-2013 02:59 PM

Hmmm...inverted revolver. jack up the rear of the Jeep using the frame until the tire comes up off the ground, and try to flip it back the way it belongs

nesdoly 06-02-2013 03:04 PM

So the closed part of the v should be to the back?

nesdoly 06-02-2013 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is jacked up off the ground. Are they on wrong?

crackedcornish 06-02-2013 03:13 PM

actually no... I just had a brain fart :o

what springs are you using, they look long

fratis 06-02-2013 03:14 PM

How is that possibly going to work in the opposite orientation? Its not inverted.

nesdoly 06-02-2013 03:25 PM

Springs apparently came out of a Cherokee (lift kit)? It was probably 5 years ago. Would stock Cherokee springs be too long?

flcracker 06-02-2013 03:59 PM

Silly question but what does the other side look like??

nesdoly 06-02-2013 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The other side.

Louie4 06-02-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesdoly (Post 15510766)
Springs apparently came out of a Cherokee (lift kit)? It was probably 5 years ago. Would stock Cherokee springs be too long?

Yes. Most guys use them when stretching the wheel base.

redneck23ms 06-02-2013 05:23 PM

your springs are too long for those shackles to work. you will either need longer fixed shackles or move the shackle bushing back in the frame. i am running similar springs and have a similar issue but i have fixed length boomerang shackles an mine just touched the frame at full compression

TSEJEEPERS 06-03-2013 06:38 AM

You could also move the non shackle side foward.
One of the guys in our club runs XJ springs in the front with a shackle reversal. The springs are running in their stock position. (no wheelbase stretch)
The thing flexes better than any leaf spring vehicle that I have ever seen.

nesdoly 06-04-2013 09:39 AM

Thanks for the replays gents. I'm looking into getting rubicon express 1.5 SOA leafs to replace the Cherokee leafs. Im hoping it won't change the ride height at all. Anyone have any experience with these or want to pipe in and disagree? Thanks again.

PA_YJ19 06-04-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesdoly
Thanks for the replays gents. I'm looking into getting rubicon express 1.5 SOA leafs to replace the Cherokee leafs. Im hoping it won't change the ride height at all. Anyone have any experience with these or want to pipe in and disagree? Thanks again.

IMO I would just lose those shackles in the rear and replace them with a set of one inch lift boom shackles. Those shackles r working the way they should and u just don't like them banging off the frame? Most people I no that run those teraflex shackles only run them in the front because they don't like the loading and unloading while driving if the speed up quick or slow down real fast. When ur stretched it just seems sorta impractical if u plan on driving it on the street. If ur looking for max flex and dont care at all about street manners then just leave them alone and mayb reinforce the frame above to withstand the impact of the shackle. Otherwise I would just use a diff shackle in the rear, switching springs would work but ur not gona like how much flex ur gonna lose with stock length springs verse the ones u have now. Ur setup looks good, I would just opt for a diff style shackle in the rear and it'll drive nice n smooth on the road. Ull still get plenty of flex with a set of booms back there.

nesdoly 06-04-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

IMO I would just lose those shackles in the rear and replace them with a set of one inch lift boom shackles. Those shackles r working the way they should and u just don't like them banging off the frame? Most people I no that run those teraflex shackles only run them in the front because they don't like the loading and unloading while driving if the speed up quick or slow down real fast. When ur stretched it just seems sorta impractical if u plan on driving it on the street. If ur looking for max flex and dont care at all about street manners then just leave them alone and mayb reinforce the frame above to withstand the impact of the shackle. Otherwise I would just use a diff shackle in the rear, switching springs would work but ur not gona like how much flex ur gonna lose with stock length springs verse the ones u have now. Ur setup looks good, I would just opt for a diff style shackle in the rear and it'll drive nice n smooth on the road. Ull still get plenty of flex with a set of booms back there.

Did a bit of digging and that sounds like a better option. I would rather not have to fork out that cash as I'm saving up for an exo cage. So the revolvers are good up front? I've got some ugly diy lift shackles for the front that I need to gusset because there's some give in my steering would love to replace them with the revolvers. Wonder if that would help...

The time now is 01:49 AM.