Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Temporary gas can mount help needed

1K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Rocker32 
#1 ·
I'm doing a Seattle to Detroit trip in a new to me 1991 YJ in a few weeks. I'm seriously considering bringing along an extra five gallons of gas but it can't be stored inside for obvious reasons. Has anybody ever done a temporary setup using the factory rear bumperette's or up on the front bumper? Neither front nor rear is probably safe in the event of an accident but it's probably marginally safer than having it inside.

Oh, because I live in Detroit and I'm picking the Jeep up in Seattle I won't have any tools with me to allow me to do any work on it before leaving.

#2 ·
Why are you buying a jeep so far away? I would put the can behind the back seat if it will fit and put a vent going outside.

#4 ·
You can get a safety can that you can store safely inside.
You can turn these upside down and they won't leak and the don't allow fumes to escape inside your Jeep.
A 5 gallon can runs about $50 but they last forever.

Attachments

#7 ·
that's a long way to go get a Jeep and drive it back without any tools, ya might want to think about finding a harborfreight and picking up some cheapies. :2c: Hope its a good one. I've never put a jerrycan on a bumperett, but I'm sure someone has... but without tools, how would U do it?
Personally, I would'nt worry about running out of gas unless the guage is wacked. U should be able to get somewhere between 200-300 miles per tank.

#8 ·
I will be bringing some basics along like a Leatherman tool, a long handle Gorilla collapsible lug wrench, duct and electrical tape, some spare fuses, water jug and gas can and some shop rags. I may purchase a small set of Craftsman sockets to bring along but that will be about it. The Jeep will be serviced and prepped the week before so hopefully we'll catch anything then instead of out on the road.

#9 ·
Don't forget your cell phone charger and food :laugh: Seriously I would not be concerned about it. If it was me I would jump in the thing and go!

#11 ·
With my home base being Detroit I won't have access to all my stuff so me doing the work in Seattle is nearly impossible. However, I did find a reputable 4x4 shop that specializes in Jeeps out there that will go through it. It may need a rear main seal as the major repair before the drive home and they're going to check that out as well as change out all the fluids and other basic maintenance. While I could do all that work back here, I need to get it done in order to drive it back. The good news is the cost of the repairs/maintenance is far less than the cost to rent the Penske truck/trailer and the gas for the truck so it's kind of a win - win for me in the end.

#12 ·
Just drive the thing an see how it goes. Where is the fun of not taking a chance of breaking down! It will be fine! I would get in it and drive. I would not bring anything with me (unless it is also given for free from your sister) Go for a challenge!

#14 ·
Well if things start to go bad there is an easy fix, turn up the radio to cover any noises! I will change my list of supplies. 2 liter of mountain dew per day and a gun. (I would steal food from your sister too :D)

#16 ·
Dude, seriously.
Get hold of me and I'll loan you some tools to cary with you on your way back.
I work at Mound and 16, you can stop by here before you fly out west and I'll give you what I think you might need in the case of a break down.
Seriously man, get hold of me.

#20 ·
whats hte specs on this jeep
auto/manual
4cyl/6cyl
stock/modified
Check his post history, it's in the first post/thread he mad.
Thread #5127797 to be exact. ;)

EDIT: Oh, I see you found it. :D

#21 ·
Hey Brandon, thanks for the offer. You are a good Joe! Do you work for the newspapers (I do)?

I've probably got whatever is needed but I'm not sure that I want to drag it or ship it out to Seattle. I don't check luggage when I travel and I'm not sure that they're going to let me carry on anything that could be used to unscrew an airplane in flight!

SamB - it's a 4 cyl/5 speed and is stock with the exception of some aftermarket steel wheels that my sister or niece added. The wheels that are on it are going to be replaced when I get home probably with some American Racing 767's in black.

#22 ·
Naw bub, I work in the auto industry.
Do you work at the Detroit News/Free Press building right there on 16 Mile?
Well, the offer stands if you want to borrow some of my tools. I've pretty much got anything/everything you would need to do roadside repairs.

#23 ·
You could mail your tools out to her. Send them Fed-ex or UPS.

#24 ·
I am considering shipping out some of the basics now. Is the YJ all SAE, metric or a combination? Are there several common size bolts on it so that I can minimize what I need to ship? Any recommendations on what size sockets will get me by?

#25 ·
My TJ is rittled with 13 mm 10 mm and tons of torx I would also bring a spark plug wrench

#26 ·
you got a few good tips, cell phone, charger, and an AAA card. along with these I'd get a couple of gal. jugs of water, couple of quarts of oil, maybe a small can of brake fluid. definitly a small tool kit. have fun, it sounds like a great trip.

#27 ·
If this yj your picking up has a 2” hitch, you can always pick up a hitch hauler. It’s a rack that fits into the hitch. I believe it’s rated to carry 500lbs. I picked up one at walmart for about $60, and it can be put together with a pair of pliers if you had to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.