Temporary brake line fix ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Temporary brake line fix ideas

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Temporary brake line fix ideas

I just finished up a bunch of painting, bodywork, added new wheels and tires, etc. to my YJ. She started right up but then I lost all braking pressure as soon as I pressed the pedal.

I see I have a pinhole leak on one of the front brake hard lines, right where the line curves above the frame rail (driver side, by the shock tower.) I'm looking for a quick fix to make things a bit easier to move the YJ around my yard.

I tried wrapping the line with an epoxy putty, but it didn't want to stick to the rusty line very well. So if that doesn't work out, what would be the best fix for a rusty brake line just to restore braking pressure for three brakes? I'm thinking of snapping off the brake line and then crimping/folding the end with vice grips to restore braking pressure. Or could I even remove the whole line and plug a hole?

Thanks

Last edited by XJelvis; 07-30-2010 at 09:11 AM..
XJelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
93iroZJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you could just spend $7 and replace the brake line. if its the driverside front you'll need one length. and the passenger side will only run you maybe $20
93iroZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Brake line pressure can be over 1000 PSI if I recall correctly; you will not be able to patch that!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the line rusted I would replace all of them. It's not a hard job and well worth the effort.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93iroZJ View Post
you could just spend $7 and replace the brake line. if its the driverside front you'll need one length. and the passenger side will only run you maybe $20
I saw a full set of hard lines for like $200. Is one of the fronts really only $7? (My hard line is blown out, not the rubber hoses from the hard line to the caliper.)

Right now my YJ needs $500 in brake parts and about $2000 in other repairs before it would be street legal, so I'm just looking to move it to a different spot in the yard so I can figure out what I might want to do with it later on. I'd rather not even spend $7 on it at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If the line rusted I would replace all of them. It's not a hard job and well worth the effort.
The hard lines are totally rusted, the drum brake shoes are rust dust, the rotors are shot, and the calipers are clamped onto them pretty tight (you almost can't spin the wheels by hand.) Some day!
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Plug it or bend it and pound it flat if you just want to stop the leak. DO NOT drive it on the road that way.

You can buy all the parts you need to make new hard lines for about $50.

What else do you need? calipers are about $35 each and rotors the same. Wheel cylinders are $10 each and pads and shoes run about $50. Unless you need a new master cylinder or booster you can replace everything for ~ $250
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i was in the same boat your in same spot but the line that was busted on mine was the pass side.. and all i want to do is move it around also.. so i just cut about a foot out and replaced it with compression fitting.. temp fix .. but im gonna replace all the lines brakes calipers mc and booster.. im gonna have some $ in it before im done
Hillbilly Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can "blank" a brake line with a nail with the right sized head inserted into one end of a flared fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

A pre terminated line at advance auto is gonna be under $10. I used an ac/copper line bender from HF that was $2 and I got perfect bends out of it. If I recall correctly, you are gonna want a 36-40" line for the driver front. It really only takes about 10 min from start to finish.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
stevesemti
1974 CJ5 

Pound it!

Just to chip in with what jbolty said, I have done a couple of emergency-get me home-type repairs by folding over the end of the line, and then pounding it flat against a frame rail or something equally sturdy. Just using vice-grips will not give you enough pressure, have to really pound it flat. Good luck!
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
93iroZJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

like jbolty said. if you just get a few lengths from advance auto, new master, calipers and some fittings it can be done for under $250 and at most a day if you want everything perfect.
93iroZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am doing the same job, Left front, from proportioning valve to frame, 25' tubing and fittings from Advanced auto for under $20.00.
My thubing bending, leaves a lot to be desired.
JMAC90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Update: My epoxy putty didn't work 100%, but it slowed the leak, returning a bit of brake pressure. I drove it home and didn't touch the brakes once anyway so no problem!

But I'm excited about how cheap it is to do the hard lines if you don't buy a $200 pre-bent line kit. And thanks for the other suggestions, I'll probably try them out for fun long before I redo the full brake system.
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Jeeptree

Temporary brake line fix ideas

Being able to field dress a brake wound is a vital skill when you just need to get to the part store. I recently did a quick fix that seemed to work for pin hole leak due to rust.
I cleaned the pinhole with a wire brush on my Dremel, and then some break parts cleaner. After drying I used some Thread seal tape (polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)).
Then I used some phone wire (22 awg solid) and wrapped over the PTFE tape. I used some duct tape to finish it off for looks LOL.
Jeeptree is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.