I just finished up a bunch of painting, bodywork, added new wheels and tires, etc. to my YJ. She started right up but then I lost all braking pressure as soon as I pressed the pedal.
I see I have a pinhole leak on one of the front brake hard lines, right where the line curves above the frame rail (driver side, by the shock tower.) I'm looking for a quick fix to make things a bit easier to move the YJ around my yard.
I tried wrapping the line with an epoxy putty, but it didn't want to stick to the rusty line very well. So if that doesn't work out, what would be the best fix for a rusty brake line just to restore braking pressure for three brakes? I'm thinking of snapping off the brake line and then crimping/folding the end with vice grips to restore braking pressure. Or could I even remove the whole line and plug a hole?
you could just spend $7 and replace the brake line. if its the driverside front you'll need one length. and the passenger side will only run you maybe $20
I saw a full set of hard lines for like $200. Is one of the fronts really only $7? (My hard line is blown out, not the rubber hoses from the hard line to the caliper.)
Right now my YJ needs $500 in brake parts and about $2000 in other repairs before it would be street legal, so I'm just looking to move it to a different spot in the yard so I can figure out what I might want to do with it later on. I'd rather not even spend $7 on it at the moment.
Originally Posted by jbolty
If the line rusted I would replace all of them. It's not a hard job and well worth the effort.
The hard lines are totally rusted, the drum brake shoes are rust dust, the rotors are shot, and the calipers are clamped onto them pretty tight (you almost can't spin the wheels by hand.) Some day!
Plug it or bend it and pound it flat if you just want to stop the leak. DO NOT drive it on the road that way.
You can buy all the parts you need to make new hard lines for about $50.
What else do you need? calipers are about $35 each and rotors the same. Wheel cylinders are $10 each and pads and shoes run about $50. Unless you need a new master cylinder or booster you can replace everything for ~ $250
i was in the same boat your in same spot but the line that was busted on mine was the pass side.. and all i want to do is move it around also.. so i just cut about a foot out and replaced it with compression fitting.. temp fix .. but im gonna replace all the lines brakes calipers mc and booster.. im gonna have some $ in it before im done
A pre terminated line at advance auto is gonna be under $10. I used an ac/copper line bender from HF that was $2 and I got perfect bends out of it. If I recall correctly, you are gonna want a 36-40" line for the driver front. It really only takes about 10 min from start to finish.
Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations
Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
Just to chip in with what jbolty said, I have done a couple of emergency-get me home-type repairs by folding over the end of the line, and then pounding it flat against a frame rail or something equally sturdy. Just using vice-grips will not give you enough pressure, have to really pound it flat. Good luck!
"Ah, well, I am a great and sublime fool. But then I am God's fool, and all His work must be contemplated with respect."
Update: My epoxy putty didn't work 100%, but it slowed the leak, returning a bit of brake pressure. I drove it home and didn't touch the brakes once anyway so no problem!
But I'm excited about how cheap it is to do the hard lines if you don't buy a $200 pre-bent line kit. And thanks for the other suggestions, I'll probably try them out for fun long before I redo the full brake system.
Being able to field dress a brake wound is a vital skill when you just need to get to the part store. I recently did a quick fix that seemed to work for pin hole leak due to rust.
I cleaned the pinhole with a wire brush on my Dremel, and then some break parts cleaner. After drying I used some Thread seal tape (polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)).
Then I used some phone wire (22 awg solid) and wrapped over the PTFE tape. I used some duct tape to finish it off for looks LOL.