Template for '91 & newer tank sending unit access door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Template for '91 & newer tank sending unit access door

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Template for '91 & newer tank sending unit access door

DISCLAIMER!!! I have not used this template yet. This is a template I made when I had a YJ tank removed recently. I took careful measurements, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it to hack an access into a YJ if I ever need to.

You should decide for yourself if you're comfortable with that before proceeding.

Here is the finished template. The corners are marked in relation to the vehicle, as viewed sitting in the driver's seat:
LF = left front
RF = right front
LR = left rear
RR = right rear

The overall length is about 8-3/8" long because the only card stock I had was about that length. I marked a line at 7-1/4" to designate the forward "CUT" line.
You will NOT cut out the entire card size! Only up to the 7-1/4" "CUT" line, leaving the area where the bolt hole is marked.

It is exactly 6" wide, and marked down the middle at 3" exactly.

I marked a hole 1/2" above the forward "CUT" line.

This mark will represent the the center seat belt anchor bolt for the rear seat belts.

When using the template, remove the anchor bolt and place the template on the floor. This photo is for demonstration purposes.

This should align the rear "CUT" line 8" from the outside of the tub.

Now align the left & right "CUT" lines (edge of the card) at 14-1/2" from the wheel wells on both sides.

Now, if this old fat guy measured properly, the template should give you an accurate sized & accurately placed location for the access door for the fuel tank sending unit.

Again, these measurements were taken using a '91-'95 YJ that was equipped with a 15/20 gallon poly tank and a fuel sending unit with a rectangular style top plate.

Hope this helps!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, I figured there would at least be one or two folks interested in this........LoL!

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is what I should have done to mine!

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great Job, I'm wondering now how many folks are going to cut into their tanks & lines, LOL
How about adding some steps for a nice cover plate after cutting through, if you wish.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I don't have one to hack on at the moment. That's a customer's Jeep in the pics, I just used it as a model for the template I made when I had another customer's tank out a few weeks ago.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Quags
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Max,

Nice work. Maybe you should make that into a PDF and make it available so folks can download it. All we need now is someone to test it....I'm not ready yet...LOL

Public Album
[url]http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa409/Quags1/1992%20Jeep%20Wrangler%20Project/[/url]
Quags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Max Thanks! I am going to try and install the plastic gas tank if I can get around all the honey do's. The timing couldn't have been better!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great idea Max.

I have a 94 with the poly tank, I have dropped my tank to change the pump,what a pain, I think it will be added to my to do list.

As mentioned above a pdf file would be awesome, keep up the good work.

Thanks

Jim
Jimbo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

any tips installing the tank. also, can i replace or clean the mesh filter looking thing at the bottom of the sending unit??
JUNKYARDDOG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You clean the tank as best you can. Check and replace any of the vent lines that look bad. Inspect the rollover valve while you are there. Look for warping in the plastic dish at the bottom of the tank the fuel pump pickup sits in. If it is warped then remove it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You clean the tank as best you can. Check and replace any of the vent lines that look bad. Inspect the rollover valve while you are there. Look for warping in the plastic dish at the bottom of the tank the fuel pump pickup sits in. If it is warped then remove it.
if i remove it do i have to replace it?? or can the sending unit sit without it?? are there screws holding it?
JUNKYARDDOG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll let you know when I do it...But it won't be anytime soon...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Bump.

I have recently performed his operation, but I did not see this thread before I had done the job. I am a firm believer in doing this little operation, it can save a BUNCH of time when replacing a fuel pump, or just troubleshooting a problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dropped the tank to install a new skid and did the mod...

I cut using this template, then wondered....How will I fill the hole?

I wanted to reause the piece I cut out, so I installed a flange all the way around the cut out using pop rivits and 1/8 steel. Then I could replace the cut out and pop rivit or sheet metal screw it in place to seal up the hole.

Problem is now my hole is only 5 x 6" or so, obviously I can just drill out the rivits and take out my mounting flange out to make the hole large enough, and this is much easier than dropping the tank...

Only comment I'd make is to cut an access hole 1-2 inches larger, so you can install a mounting flange
fuel-skid-access.jpg  
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Dropped the tank to install a new skid and did the mod...

I cut using this template, then wondered....How will I fill the hole?

I wanted to reause the piece I cut out, so I installed a flange all the way around the cut out using pop rivits and 1/8 steel. Then I could replace the cut out and pop rivit or sheet metal screw it in place to seal up the hole.

Problem is now my hole is only 5 x 6" or so, obviously I can just drill out the rivits and take out my mounting flange out to make the hole large enough, and this is much easier than dropping the tank...

Only comment I'd make is to cut an access hole 1-2 inches larger, so you can install a mounting flange
You mean something like this?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...l#post13097829

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.