Tempered Windshield glass? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
LittleBigJeep

Tempered Windshield glass?

Does anyone know if they make tempered windshield glass for the YJ wrangler?

I thought it'd be nice to have glass that wouldn't shatter, being I am replacing the windshield anyway.
I've looked it up, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 08:24 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
that would be a bad idea. tempered will explode like a side window. By law they want you to have a laminated window. There are a few places that make Polycarbonate though they are not DOT. even though these windows can stop a small caliber bullet.

The one off hand is http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/Jeep-applications.asp they might be a vendor here? I remember them in thread when they came out with jeep windows. its on my wish list for my heep. been through 3 windows and need one now. seems i crack one almost every year.
project_mercy likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to have just tempered glass as a front windshield. The laminated safety glass is two sheets of tempered with a clear plastic sheet "gluing" them together.That is what all windshields are now.
The last car I know of that had just a single piece of glass as a windshield was a Jaguar MKII. My mom had a 1966 model and I can tell you that if you are a second grader standing on the front seat when the car hits a telephone pole at ~25 mph...the windshield won't stop you but you will fit nicely on the hood while you wait for the ambulance.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to have just tempered glass as a front windshield. The laminated safety glass is two sheets of tempered with a clear plastic sheet "gluing" them together.That is what all windshields are now.
The last car I know of that had just a single piece of glass as a windshield was a Jaguar MKII. My mom had a 1966 model and I can tell you that if you are a second grader standing on the front seat when the car hits a telephone pole at ~25 mph...the windshield won't stop you but you will fit nicely on the hood while you wait for the ambulance.
Ouch!

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 09:15 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
first rock that hits a tempered window in the front wont chip it will explode if it nicks it. the laminate captures the shards and no they are not tempered or they would not crack. they would turn into .25 chunks of shrapnel. better wear goggles at least.

Just pointing out the issues. look if you going to something like this. one should look at the better ways. tempered<> Poly. tempered one sharp edge of anything nicks it it goes basaltic. where a poly can stop a small caliber fire arms.

i would bet it cost MORE money to have someone MAKE a tempered window for the front of a heep , since a one of a kind. where as the ARMOR window is something off the shelf now. again it WONT pass a inspection. If they look.

Lets not forget i dont even run air bags, removed the system, so not like a am a rules Nazi.. I would rather have a plate glass window than air bags. This is from PERSONAL experience in RL and from my #2 sons work as a EMT.

carry on.................................

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think if they could find a way to keep the plastic from scratching and hazing then Poly windshields would be the norm. Right now you will only get the first rain storm or mud splash before you will have scratch arcs right across your field of vision.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
LittleBigJeep

Thanks for these great replies.

Gee, I guess it makes a lot of sense why they wouldn't make windshields tempered. I never thought of how easily it would brake. Might be nice to get a polycarbonate some day, but for the price of one poly I could replace at least two more glass windshields. I guess I will be going stock on this replacement.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.