Temperature Gauge/Temp problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Temperature Gauge/Temp problems

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
nlepisto
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Temperature Gauge/Temp problems

okay so ive been trying to figure this out researching other threads, but cant find an answer. randomly my temp would rise after driving and normal operating temp. it would rise to 230+/- then quickly drop down to 180-190. i replaced the thermostat, it does not have the hole drilled in it. but the previous one didn't either. so i know that is not the problem. i also changed the coolant temp sensor, and still no better. any ideas on what else i can do? or what is my problem? thanks -Nick

nlepisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If i remember correctly, checking your water pump is pretty easy on these just make sure you have another gasket for it before hand. When i checked mine, it was in perfect shape though...its kind of rare for those to be problems with proper maintenance/coolant.

Worth a shot for how easy it is though.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check the clutch on your fan see if it is loose or doesnt spin right.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

there was just a thread where the OP installed faulty temp senders (i think) from autozone. the moral of the story on that thread was to buy the temp sender from the dealership. it cost him $25 to fix, after dumping a ton of money, on everything else.
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
nlepisto
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yea i tried the fan clutch, looks beat up but does have resistance when i try to spin it, i just picked up a new sender, i didnt know there was a sensor, and a sender... ill inspect the water pump next, just a little messy or well it could be, cuz i have to do it in the middle of my street haha. guess ill try to flush the radiator also. so that is pretty much everything that has to do with the temp of the engine right? the sensors, water pump, radiator, thermostat? thanks for the help
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
nlepisto
2004 TJ Wrangler 

okay so now with the sending unit is replaced, the only difference i noticed is when the temp drops, it drops to the normal operating temp, instead of like 15-20 degrees under... about to go on a big bear trip and dont want to worry about overheating. heh
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
88YJGuy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicalibro3 View Post
there was just a thread where the OP installed faulty temp senders (i think) from autozone. the moral of the story on that thread was to buy the temp sender from the dealership. it cost him $25 to fix, after dumping a ton of money, on everything else.
Yeah- for some reason Autozone only sells a switch designed for the idiot light- not the gauge. Same with Advance Auto Parts.
Neither can get the sender you need if you have a gauge.

However, you don't need to go to the dealership for one- I got mine at NAPA.
They actually have two p/n's- one for jeeps with a gauge, one for jeeps with no gauge (idiot light).
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
88YJGuy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlepisto View Post
yea i tried the fan clutch, looks beat up but does have resistance when i try to spin it, i just picked up a new sender, i didnt know there was a sensor, and a sender... ill inspect the water pump next, just a little messy or well it could be, cuz i have to do it in the middle of my street haha. guess ill try to flush the radiator also. so that is pretty much everything that has to do with the temp of the engine right? the sensors, water pump, radiator, thermostat? thanks for the help

After I replaced mine with a new sender, my gauge still didn't work right.
Turned out to be the electrical connection at the gauge.

It was weird, because when I grounded the wire to the sender, the gauge deflected to full. So I figured the gauge was fine, and that it was definitely a bad sending unit.

Put the new sender in...same problem...moved on to the gauge...which got it working again...
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
toplesshorse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In that same thread mentioned was a radiator cap with a gauge in it. Mr. Gasket makes it and Advance carries them It is not perfect (Mine was actually accurate I checked it against my meat thermometer) but it is a very good back up. And itr helped me diagnose a bad Advanced auto sender, going to Mopar to get the correct one at lunch.
toplesshorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is only so many thing is can be. I had a similar issues. I ended up replacing the who cooling system for just around $250. I got the following things:

CSF Radiator - $110 online
Radiator cap -$5
Sensor - $20
160 Theromostate - $20
Electric Taurus fan - junk yard for $15
Harness and wiring kit - $20
Water pump - $35
Hose clamps - $5

Now my jeep run consistantly around 130 degrees. Before It would stay around 210 degrees.
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWguy101 View Post
There is only so many thing is can be. I had a similar issues. I ended up replacing the who cooling system for just around $250. I got the following things:

CSF Radiator - $110 online
Radiator cap -$5
Sensor - $20
160 Theromostate - $20
Electric Taurus fan - junk yard for $15
Harness and wiring kit - $20
Water pump - $35
Hose clamps - $5

Now my jeep run consistantly around 130 degrees. Before It would stay around 210 degrees.
130 is too cool you need to be around 210.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlepisto View Post
okay so now with the sending unit is replaced, the only difference i noticed is when the temp drops, it drops to the normal operating temp, instead of like 15-20 degrees under... about to go on a big bear trip and dont want to worry about overheating. heh
Any update for us?
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
nlepisto
2004 TJ Wrangler 

didnt get around to flushing the radiator, but while i was in the area, i stopped by this auto shop where the guy knows a lot about jeeps and i didnt know how much resistance the fan clutch needed, i just read that it shouldnt spin freely, but thats what he said my problem is. so i pick one of those up last night. ill install it and see what that does...
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
nlepisto
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap5.0 View Post
Any update for us?
...ugh, well the fan clutch didnt fix it unfortunately. so im going to flush the radiator tonight and hope i dont over heat on the drive up. or on the trail for that matter... draining it and flushing it with a hose a sufficient enough job? or should i go as far as buying the additive to dump in there?
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
nlepisto
2004 TJ Wrangler 

flushed system, still no luck...coolant looked as if i were coming straight out of the bottle...think it may be my gauge? or the water pump?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.