Temperature Gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Temperature Gauge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 03-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
mxracer513
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Temperature Gauge

Temp gauge was acting up, working sometimes and sometimes not. Now it doesn't work at all anyway to test the sending unit? the themostat is opening fine i'm just always showin 0* on the gauge

any ideas?

thanks

.=..^.-.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
KB3RDF ..... Yellow Jeep Club Member # 513
mxracer513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
lmrsprt
1993 ZJ 

sending unit check the wire conection also
Yeah, I think we're screwed. There are not nearly enough of us and time is running out fast. One day we will tell our grandchildren what it was like to have once been free. They'll likely think us demented.
lmrsprt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
mxracer513
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wire connections are all tight. I ws thinking it was the sending unit, is there any other way to test other than to just buy a new one?
.=..^.-.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
KB3RDF ..... Yellow Jeep Club Member # 513
mxracer513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
DIZBROW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am having the same problem. But mine goes up to 240 about 5 min after start-up. I checked the waterpumb with a laser temp gauge and it only reads 135. It is a new sender and a new aftermarket gauge. Sender came the gauge. The stock one starting messing up when i tried to move the needle on my gas gauge. So i replaced the gas gauge and replaced temp gauge with sending unit and ran a new wire for it.
DIZBROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind that you have two senders/sensors on the YJ 4.0 liter engine. The one at the front in the thermostat housing is the sensor for the ECU and the one at the back of the block (top, drivers side, one wire attached) is for the gauge - you don't see the temperature the computer is seeing.

Both units are testable if you have a multi-meter - the resistance (ohms) changes in direct proportion to the temperature, but I don't have my manuals handy so I can't tell you what the readings should be.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why wouldn't you replace it? I believe I bought mine at autozone for 12 dollars.... Just seems a lot easier than trying to figure out readings and such on a tester.
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
DIZBROW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Update just took mine out and it stays at 240 again when i hit the laser temp on it know where on the engine is over 200?
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
DIZBROW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know only thing i can think of it sender....
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
sg93yj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

on the 1993 thermistor located on top of the engine block nearest the firewall. Here are some resistance measurements you can take across it.
100 deg F = 1365 ohms
210 deg F = 115 ohms
240 deg F = 55.1 ohms

Source of info 1993 FSM
sg93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Try grounding out the lead from the gauge. If the gauge maxes out then the gauge is good and the sender is junk.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
DIZBROW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

See i have always been told just to pull the wire off the sender and if it drops out the gauge is good thanks guys i will go check right now.
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
DIZBROW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry dont know if it matters but before i put it in i checked it and it was full resistance my mutl would read 1

Last edited by DIZBROW; 03-24-2008 at 08:10 PM..
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
DIZBROW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok somthin funky when i did it i had my multi meter set on 200K the i tested one why it was a -36 anf when i switched the leads it went to 1 I tried the ground out the gauge and it pegs it so i know it is not that. I think i will take it back and get another one. Does anyone know what it should read right out of the box.
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #14
chaddo78
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem, replaced T-stat, and sending unit, reading 260 until I tap it, goes to 200-210. I'm gonna pull the guage and clean the connecter.
chaddo78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.