Temp sending unit, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Temp sending unit, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On those engines that have no hole tapped for the sender unit, the boss is still there and can be drilled and tapped. I did this on a 2005 4.0 engine block - the hole is for a 1/8" NPT thread. If you decide to drill and tap, be careful not to turn the tap too far into the hole while threading because you'll end up with a loose fit. This is tapered pipe thread, designed to give you a real tight fit when done right. When you drill the hole, it'll open up into the coolant cavity below the boss - any bits of metal that fall into this cavity that you can't retrieve with a magnet will disintegrate in the coolant eventually without harming the engine.

Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
PFCLinscomb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
On those engines that have no hole tapped for the sender unit, the boss is still there and can be drilled and tapped. I did this on a 2005 4.0 engine block - the hole is for a 1/8" NPT thread. If you decide to drill and tap, be careful not to turn the tap too far into the hole while threading because you'll end up with a loose fit. This is tapered pipe thread, designed to give you a real tight fit when done right. When you drill the hole, it'll open up into the coolant cavity below the boss - any bits of metal that fall into this cavity that you can't retrieve with a magnet will disintegrate in the coolant eventually without harming the engine.
Nahhh I'm not comfortable with tapping a hole in the block.

But I'm going to just get the Hi-Flow thermostat housing Max suggested, much less work. lol
Times you kick yourself in your own ***: When that stupid Private wakes the whole platoon up by running through the bay screaming "Reveille,Reveille,Reveille!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And your like "Who the hell put that guy on last fire guard" and then you realize.... You did -.-
PFCLinscomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tempurature sending unit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.