Temp Guage and No Heat - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Temp Guage and No Heat

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to change the thermostat so please no more "change the thermostat" comments thank you guys a lot though

Bnabb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL You guys are bad. You can see if the thermostat was stuck open by starting it cold and looking in the radiator for flow. I agree with everyone but I do agree that 100 is way low. The problem Bnabb, is that the guages are finicky at best and notoriously unreliable.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
LOL You guys are bad. You can see if the thermostat was stuck open by starting it cold and looking in the radiator for flow. I agree with everyone but I do agree that 100 is way low. The problem Bnabb, is that the guages are finicky at best and notoriously unreliable.
The gauge is not working because the thermostat is stuck open. While we'll all agree that Jeep infamously uses cheap/inaccurate gauges from the factory, the reason its registering 100 is because of the thermostat issue. I know this because Ive experienced the same thing the OP has... after the thermo change, it worked (and still does) fine.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Symptom 1: Temp Gauge reading low.
Symptom 2: No heat

Add them together is a stuck thermostat. Your gauge is most likely perfectly fine. Change the thermostat ... burp/purge the antifreeze and it'll be fine. If and only if after that is done, and your gauge isn't working correctly, and you have heat... change the temp gauge sender, located driver side back of the head on top, single wire, behind the intake. That simple.

Sent from my D2G using JeepForum

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
mightybg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

just for your info (since you asked about it), the temp gauge is driven off of the little guy on the back of the head, drivers side with one wire sticking out of it. I circled it in yellow.

added picture of what it should look like white connector is "switch with gauge" and a black connector is for "switch no gauge" that just turns on a warning light. They word it weird that is why it took me a while to get the Oreilly guy to understand what I was talking about.
tempguagesensor.jpg   temp-sender.jpg  
mightybg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my thermostat and I am going to change it as soon as I can. I will let all you guys know if/when your right.
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So my thermostat definetly needed changed

So I have heat now but guage still reads 100, Like I though.
I need to change the sensor now then right? Anything special I need to know?
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
mightybg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you go to oreilly's or autozone I don't remember where I bought it from, it was called a temperature switch with gauge. I remember that cause getting the guy at the counter to find the right part was difficult. and the difference I believe is the one that drive the gauge in the dash has a white connector and the one that is just a switch has a black connector. (see my previous post for pic).
mightybg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What the heck? How did it get bent like that?

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's how it looked when i pulled it out today. I asked my dad if he has ever seen a thermostat busted like that and he said that this was definetly his first. I have no clue how it did it.
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

The brass failed either through corrosive action of the coolant or a mechanical failure. It's bent because the spring pushed it away from the 'base plate' (whatever it's called).

I have seen that, maybe 3 times in 13 years of servicing cars.

As for your gauge, I recommend you remove the little connector at the back of the head that was circled by mightybg. The gauge should fall to dead cold. Then ground the connector. Gauge should read full hot. THIS IS TO BE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF, KEY IN "RUN" POSITION. If it works fine (low/high) then replace the sensor.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
guage , heat , heater , sensor , temp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.