temp gauge ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > temp gauge ???

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 01-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Durbahn

temp gauge ???

In my 91 wrangler. My temp gauge dosent work at all. I tried putting in a new coolant sensor, that didnt help, So i checked the wire from the sensor to the harness behind the cluster, that was good. Now i am looking at the printed circuit on the cluster and it looks good but i dont know how to check it any help would be greatly appreciated

also if i have to replace the printed circuit does anyone know where i can get one or will i have to sell something so i can afford one from the dealership

Also if anyone who reads this has a entire cluster for sale please leet me know, i know this part should be in the wanted section but i didnt want to start a new thread

Thanks
Durbahn

32 Super Swamper TSLs
posi lok'd
more to come

http://www.geocities.com/mopar_2005/jeep.html
Durbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was able to pick a gauge cluster up off of ebay.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
RSouth

I just replaced the printed circut on my 89 YJ. I picked up a whole cluster panel for $50.00 at a junk yard. All I needed was the printed circut. A new P C was $40. at the dealer. I installed it this weekend, now all my gagues work!

RSouth
RSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
YoungJeeper

My gauge didn't work before so I asked a repair guy about it he said with the 4.0 L in the jeeps there is 2 coolant sensors one in the back and one in the front... The one in the back driverside is the one for the gauge.... As for the other one i believe its in the front, but not sure. I don't know if that helps you any but figured i'd try

1993 YJ Sahara
4.0L with Gibson exaust
2 1/2 inch skyjacker soft ride
sway bar disconnects
no rear track bar
black super top
31 good year a/t s on black american racing rims
year round mud
YoungJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i went to auto zone and spent $15 on a mechanical gauge. tee,d it into the heater hose, and now i have a working gauge!
just an idea.

94 4.0
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
billetbong

take the wire that clips onto your sensor, jump that to ground, if your temp gauge maxes out your problem is not anywhere in the wiring between the end of the wire and the gauge, its in the sensor. like other guys have already said, just be sure you changed the right sensor.

another problem i personally encountered, which seem unlikely in your case being winter and all. my thermostat actually came apart. so i had no thermostat, well the jeeps gauge would never move because it never had a chance for the coolant to get hot. i just changed the temp sensor one night in a rush and didnt bother to check anything else out. the gauge still didnt work. i was pissed but didnt have time to -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= with it. a few nights later it got cold out and she wouldnt put out any heat. well lookin at my broken (or so i thought) temp gauge the light bulb finally clicked on and sure enough there was nothing left of my t-stat but the little plate. unlikely for you being winter and you would probably notice the lack of heat, but i figured i toss it in there anyways.
billetbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
83iS
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar problem but...My temp gauge works somtimes and somtimes it doesnt, it will go up to the normal operating mark then the next time i start it up the gauge doesnt move at all

Kyle
83iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
SundevilYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83iS
I have a similar problem but...My temp gauge works somtimes and somtimes it doesnt, it will go up to the normal operating mark then the next time i start it up the gauge doesnt move at all

Kyle
Mine does the exact same thing, but I have been too lazy to attempt fixing it. My oil pressure guage has never worked. I should probably get mechanical guages.

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited (loaded)
4.7L, 4x4, 18" Moda R8, 255x55x18 Yokahama Geolanders
SundevilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.