temp fluctuates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > temp fluctuates

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-27-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
new2jeep

temp fluctuates

The temp climbs to around 215 to 220 degrees and then quickly drops back to about 195 and then climbs back up. Shouldn't a temp of about 195 be maintained since that is what the thermostat is? I recently replace the radiator because it was due and installed a new radiator cap. Could it be the sending unit? As fast as the temp drops, I can't believe it would cool down 25 degrees that fast.

Any thoughts?

Unread 05-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
Silver yj

You might have a little air left in the system,if its going up and down that quick its a good chance that you do.
Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
ugajeepgirl

Yeah it could be air. It could also be the temp sensor. You can try to "reset" it by unplugging it for awhile then reconnecting it or you can just plunk down the $15 to get a new one. When my temp gauge was acting screwy, turned out to be the sensor so I just replaced it.

Good luck
Unread 05-28-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
new2jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugajeepgirl
Yeah it could be air. It could also be the temp sensor. You can try to "reset" it by unplugging it for awhile then reconnecting it or you can just plunk down the $15 to get a new one. When my temp gauge was acting screwy, turned out to be the sensor so I just replaced it.

Good luck
I don't think it is air in the system. It did this prior to changing the radiator as well. I got a new sending unit on the way. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thanks
Unread 05-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
bluYJ

Sounds like a sticking thermostat. Had the same problem a couple years ago. Put a brand new 160 degree thermostat and never had another problem with it.
33" BFG Muds, 4:88 gears, Detroit's front and rear, Dana 44 rear axle with disc brakes, heavy duty Dodge NP231,SYE, MORE sport cage. [COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #61[/COLOR]
bluYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This might sound like a stupid question but do you have a electric fan that kicks on and off with the temp?
Unread 05-31-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
new2jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
This might sound like a stupid question but do you have a electric fan that kicks on and off with the temp?
The fan is not an electric fan. I had ordered a new temp sending unit from auto zone but they ordered me a oil sending unit and when I told them that is not what I ordered, they told me they could not get a temp sending unit. So I ordered one from Quadratec and while I was at it, I ordered a new thermostat. By the time I am done, everything on this jeep will be new. But what the H#$l, it is fun to tinker with.
Unread 06-01-2004, 07:14 AM   #8
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was able to get a temp sending unit from Advance Auto. Make sure you order the correct one. There is a temperature sensor that relays info to the computer that is located on the thermostat housing and the temperature sending unit for the gauge is located on the back of the engine block which is the one you need.

Last edited by RCHavok797; 06-01-2004 at 07:17 AM..
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
archie

Let us know if this fiixes the problem mine does the same thing I jus assumed it was the thermostat opening and letting the coolant from the rad to ciculate dropping the temp. I think the sticking thermostat might be the answer.
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
ugajeepgirl

Its weird that you guys haven't been able to purchase the temp sending unit aka temp sensor at a local auto parts store. I picked mine up at a local Autozone for $15.
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #11
ugajeepgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie
Let us know if this fiixes the problem mine does the same thing I jus assumed it was the thermostat opening and letting the coolant from the rad to ciculate dropping the temp. I think the sticking thermostat might be the answer.
Archie,
Try unplugging the temp sending unit for a bit to let it reset itself. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.
Unread 06-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
new2jeep

I just replaced the temp sending unit. Same thing happens. When I ordered the sending unit, I also ordered the thermostat, so tomorrow I will install that and try that. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.
Unread 06-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #13
MarkandPaminFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugajeepgirl
Its weird that you guys haven't been able to purchase the temp sending unit aka temp sensor at a local auto parts store. I picked mine up at a local Autozone for $15.

Autozone must have a special policy for Jeepgirls that "sometimes go topless".
MarkandPaminFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #14
new2jeep

Installed the new thermostat tonight. Temp gage now goes to about 200 and maintains. I think I finally got it fixed. I figure that the gage could be off 5 degrees since the thermostat is a 195.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Now all I have to fix is a small tranny leak. One of the hoses connecting to the radiator has a small leak. When I put the new radiator in, I replaced one of the lines but not this one. Guess I should have. I should have that fixed tomorrow.
Unread 06-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #15
ugajeepgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkandPaminFL
Autozone must have a special policy for Jeepgirls that "sometimes go topless".
Yeeaah, right ...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.