Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tell me its not what I think!

537 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MusicMaverick 
#1 ·
Here's the problem. I dont know if its the clutch or the tranny. I'm hoping its just the clutch. OK. When I shift into 3rd and 4th gear, I get a grinding noise but if I shift really slowly it wont grind(like when I shift out of 2nd to go into 3rd, I wait about 5 seconds to avoid the grinding) Now..say im traveling on 4th or 3rd gear and I come to a stop at a light and I shift to neurtral, while im coming to a stop it sounds as if the transmission is downshifting by itself and I can feel a little vibration and I can hear as if the tranny is downshifting by itself.
PLEASE TELL ME ITS JUST THE CLUTCH! My friend says it might be the synchronizers...what is that?

#2 ·
Chances are its the synchro's. They are made from brass which is very soft so they wear out relatively quick. The reason that they don't grind when you wait to shift is because the engine revs are down and the synchros have a chance to catch up. I'm not an expert by any stretch but from what I have read it sounds like the same problem as my jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.