Tell me its not what I think! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tell me its not what I think!

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-13-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
omar

Tell me its not what I think!

Here's the problem. I dont know if its the clutch or the tranny. I'm hoping its just the clutch. OK. When I shift into 3rd and 4th gear, I get a grinding noise but if I shift really slowly it wont grind(like when I shift out of 2nd to go into 3rd, I wait about 5 seconds to avoid the grinding) Now..say im traveling on 4th or 3rd gear and I come to a stop at a light and I shift to neurtral, while im coming to a stop it sounds as if the transmission is downshifting by itself and I can feel a little vibration and I can hear as if the tranny is downshifting by itself.
PLEASE TELL ME ITS JUST THE CLUTCH! My friend says it might be the synchronizers...what is that?

Unread 05-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
ezgoing

Chances are its the synchro's. They are made from brass which is very soft so they wear out relatively quick. The reason that they don't grind when you wait to shift is because the engine revs are down and the synchros have a chance to catch up. I'm not an expert by any stretch but from what I have read it sounds like the same problem as my jeep.
'67 Ford Galaxie 500 (passes everything but the gas station)

"What do you mean I can't make it, watch me!" = oops
ezgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

its the syncro's located in the transmission gear box. That really sucks man. I feel your pain. My last car had that prob.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.