Tech topic: Boomerang Shackles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tech topic: Boomerang Shackles

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93

I am aware of the stuff I have attached to the frame crossmember. The darn thing(crosmember) almost fell off. The bumper/tire carrier is heavy and just about pulled the thing apart. So I got some reinforcements and welded and bolted them to the bumper and frame. This will effect the shackle's movement, I know this. I can hear it bang on the frame, so I know of the issue.
Also thought of cutting the military wrap from the rear springs, it has been suggested to me.

So...
What do you sugest?
I am open...to better ways. I would love more suspension movement.
I cut off the wraps on one side off all 4 springs (like the re springs) and it made a big difference in droop! I was hesitant on doing mine but am glad I did!

image-845492071.jpg   image-965062822.jpg   image-2913723455.jpg  
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Where do I get some of these vac booms?
cbl600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl600r View Post
Where do I get some of these vac booms?
Pm the thread starter.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
murilstone
1987 YJ Wrangler 

so, what about the center bolt....what if you just leave it out?
murilstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

its fine to leave out.

yep trimming the wrap is important. make sure to round the ends as the sharp corners will gouge the shackle/spring hanger.

i dont particularly like bumpers that have tire carriers so id pull all that stuff off the back of your jeep. if the crossmember is bad id cut it out and weld in a new one or a piece of rectangle tubing. if you have to have that bumper remove the cross member and weld it right on the framerail.
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a shackle reversal kit on the front of my YJ. Would the Booms be beneficial for my application or only use them for the rear springs?
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd66 View Post
I've got a shackle reversal kit on the front of my YJ. Would the Booms be beneficial for my application or only use them for the rear springs?
I have seen someone use booms on their shackle reversal however you lose most of the risk of inversion when you have the reversal. I would think just the rear would be worth it, but I can't speak from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My RH front shackle has inverted on me a few times. thankfully, the main leaf still appears to be (not) bent. I keep in touch with the previous owner; says he never experienced that. The shackles sit perfectly vertical when jeep is on flat ground. Someone recommended boomerangs for the front, but I fail to see how this would cause the angle go change without a longer main leaf.
What do you guys think?
newfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #24
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish1
My RH front shackle has inverted on me a few times. thankfully, the main leaf still appears to be (not) bent. I keep in touch with the previous owner; says he never experienced that. The shackles sit perfectly vertical when jeep is on flat ground. Someone recommended boomerangs for the front, but I fail to see how this would cause the angle go change without a longer main leaf. What do you guys think?
Vertical shackles at ride height is not right.
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

great thread answered all my stupid questions without me having to ask
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Question: I had rubicon express springs ( non military wrap) but the main leaf snapped (not from re quality I'm sure, just from lots I über flexing and me hitting a jump too hard. I replaced with BFD springs, military wrap, but they seem to really limit flex. Since they are new, should I cut the front wrap like in a previous post, for more flex seeing thy should e less likely to break or should I leave it as is? I don't want to break another spring, or have to carry a spare, but I do want more flex. I am Soa.
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #27
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish1 View Post
My RH front shackle has inverted on me a few times. thankfully, the main leaf still appears to be (not) bent. I keep in touch with the previous owner; says he never experienced that. The shackles sit perfectly vertical when jeep is on flat ground. Someone recommended boomerangs for the front, but I fail to see how this would cause the angle go change without a longer main leaf.
What do you guys think?
The bolt that goes through the elbow of the shackle in the middle will hit the frame first and allow your springs to continue forward instead of flipping flat against the frame.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.