Tech HowTo: Remove Brake and Clutch assembly for repair/replacement
Okay - so I found a bunch of threads where people noted that their clutch pedals had broken off at factory welds. A lot of folks noted they had the problem, but I did not find the actual SOLUTION to remove the assembly, just that they had it fixed by a welding shop or professional welder.
So - to that end - explanation and pictures for reference. Admins/Mods - please cross-post or add to FAQ's as appropriate.
This is the Clutch Pedal assembly - the clutch removal was reasonably routine - but when Chase and I went to pressurize the system - the clutch pedal broke at the factory welds... Not fun.
To get the brake & clutch pedal out as an assembly - do the following:
1) loosen the 4 bolts on the firewall and remove them.
2) disconnect the brake pedal from the brake cylinder ram
3) slide the brake master cylinder forward until the bolts are flush with the firewall. - Top Side View
4) Up and to the left you'll find a bolt and nut holding the brake/clutch assembly to the clutch reinforcement bracket - remove it.
4.1) Pull the cotter pin holding the clutch linkage arm to the clutch pedal.
5) Right above your knees you'll find two bolts - they loosen FROM THE Dashboard side... They are just low of center in this picture:
6) everthing should be free to be pulled down now as an assembly:
You're going to spend a lot of time like this.. Get used to it.
Note that another option is to remove the long bolt between the brake and clutch so that either/both pedals can be removed.
As in this picture - the bolt in the middle is the key - if you can reach both sides AND have enough room to pull the bolt, this may be your easier solution. Note that the position
below is relatively normal and I would have been able to remove the Nut from the left and pulled the Bolt from the right. At the time I was not sure - so I pulled the entire assembly.
You'll want to pull out the shim material before you weld as it will burn off given it is made of plastic.
Installation is opposite of removal!
Fixed Links in photos - apologies for broken links!
Thanks for the fast work/response to PM! I just linked your thread to another Jeeper who swapped in an auto for his manual and wants to get rid of the old clutch pedal.
You just gotta love this forum! :thumbsup:
posting just to sub for reference on the phone at junkyard ;)
|The time now is 08:58 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.