Tearing YJ apart and rebuilding - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tearing YJ apart and rebuilding

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #76
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Well,

Went to Ernie's house today and got the nipple as shown above and in my offshoot thread since I am going nuts trying to figure out that rod.

Apart from that, we gave a Simple Green/Purple Power bath to the engine mount adapters for the block, a healthy MEK happy ending, and some primer and paint for them.

Next we moved to cleaning the timing cover, but she is sitting at the bottom of the parts washer as we speak to loosen the old seals, even the crank seal up a little. Debating on painting that. I read it is best to put her new crank seal on after install before adding the harmonic balancer, so I am going that route. Gotta find something to seat it...my 36 MM socket is too small.

Then, well the gas tank issue from the last few posts above. The cup in the tank is there, but seperated and screws up my guage. I pulled and figured well, its a new engine, so new fuel pump wouldn't hurt, then I figured I have spent all this money for a new YJ...well..it will be new...so I called MTS two days ago. MTS COMPANY, L.C. - Plastic fuel tanks for Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Scout, willys, and Toyota These guys are great on the phone. They set me right up with what I wanted.

MTS makes a new poly 20 gal fuel cell for YJ's, considerably less expensive that the new one the dealer wanted to sell me for about $750 +. I also got the matching sending unit and fuel pump, seal, and new straps with the tank.

Old one..soon to be for sale with sending unit and fuel pump in box...lol

New one installed. I still hate how the shackles look. God I hope weight takes care of that.

Then came the flywheel. She was a little scored, glazed and ugly.

Took some 120 emery and rubbed it real good, and added brake cleaner.

Rubbed some more and then added a touch of orbital and had a mechanic down the road take a look at it. I was concerned since it was "my first"

Well, enough for one day.

hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #77
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Today's fun was going in circles and thinking I was going to get something done.

I started by thinking I would take a great HOW TO for timing covers and replacement for 4.0 I6 242s. I ended up taking a lesson myself! Wow. Glad I have a FSM and a Chiltons and Jeep Forum. I saw a post a few days ago where someone said something about a thrust pin and spring for the timing set. I figured since my block was remanned, it was ready. WRONG.

Here is the FSM diagram of the camshaft sprocket. I have this magical bolt showing the hole in it for the spring and pin.

So that derailed me. I then looked up what this occurs. A good read. And worth while if you have an engine noise in a 242. Jeep Engine Information See the part about the camshaft moving forward and needing a pin. Funny, my Timing Cover has the scars from a cam moving forward in it! WOW. I was a victim and never knew it!!!!

The good news is that this part is available in lots of places. Since I needed new flywheel bolts (FSM says never reuse them after removal) I decided to order from my friends at www.moparonlineparts.com as they discount MSRP from MOPAR and pack alot into $10 shipping. I got my "Pin Package Camshaft" # 8350-2890 coming in the mail, along with flywheel bolts and clutch pressure plate screws. I tried pricing local or other places. Mopar online parts is the way to go when you need something.

So anyway, I prepped the timing cover today atleast.

Pulled old shaft seal. Added new seal. Cleaned cover.

Taped and primed, then painted.

Broke open the new chain bumper, OEM part 3300-3446. Installed. I have seen LOTS of questions on the forum about this part. Here is a box from Melling and a install photo.

Pardon my thumb.

And it's ready to install, with a good coat of bearing grease on the shaft seal to aid with install. Now, if I had the DARN PIN and SPRING! God...I wonder how that goes on. Perhaps I will write that when I figure it out. How do you keep it from flying across the room?
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #78
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Someday I hope to have the time to do this to my YJ. Awesome build.
93 YJ 4" RC Lift, 1 1/4" RC Lift Shackles, 33" Mud Rovers, 15x10 Rock Crawlers, Dynomax Performce Exhaust, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, Smittybilt SRC Rocker Guards, Hi Lift, HD 1 Ton Steer, 136 Amp Alterntor, Old School Uniden With 102" Stainless Whip, And Much More To Come.
05 Polaris Trail Boss
MYYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #79
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You have run into many of the same issues I had. What did you use for a valve cover gasket? I used the cork gasket that came with the rebuild kit, and it leaks in the back. I was wondering if a fel-pro sandwiched between some gasket maker would work (same way I do my diff covers). BTW, I did a lot of cleaning on my valve cover to get that crap off of it, but I think it does help to do a little leg work on the front end.

The oil filter thing....Does it need to be pushed further in, maybe? But not sure.

The biggest hurdle I had, was setting the distributor. Its not really timing, because there isn't anyway that I know of to set the timing, its all done by computer. Find the #1 contact on the cap, put a mark on the base, and when you drop it into the motor, the rotor button should be just past the mark. I screwed up and kept trying to put it just before, took about 2 hrs to figure out I was wrong, and it fired right up. You can only adjust it by pulling it out and moving the button one tooth on the cam, it took a while. Good luck with it.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #80
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50rck View Post
You have run into many of the same issues I had. What did you use for a valve cover gasket? I used the cork gasket that came with the rebuild kit, and it leaks in the back.

The oil filter thing....Does it need to be pushed further in, maybe? But not sure.
Greetings! I used the cork also and seated it on the cover first with a paperthin coat of Red RTV as a glue to hold it in place while I applied cover. Then, I gave a thin finger spread to the cork before it went down on the head. We shall see! 55 In-Lb was what I set it at.

That oil pin is being pulled as I am not adding adaptor. I should add a link for my shoot off topic.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...engine-953055/ I needed attention from the tech guys fast.

Thanks for the ideas on the timing and distributor. That I have already began pre-reading on!

Chet

Unread 01-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #81
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYYJ93 View Post
Someday I hope to have the time to do this to my YJ. Awesome build.
Thanks! Keep checking back!
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #82
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Dull day. No photos. Cut and dry.

Did the thermostat housing and water pump today. New stant 195* thermostat and new water pump, of course.

The thing that sucks is the heater hose threaded into the old water pump is stuck as well as one fan stud. Really pissed! No photos today. I will save that for a productive day.

RTV Red for all gaskets today, both sides, sparingly.

My Build Thread --->>> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Unread 01-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #83
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Oh...hey...

anyone ever replace a harmonic balancer on a 242 ??? What is with this Woodruff Key? Do I need to place it on the crank? I don't think so but I am going crazy reading on it.

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #84
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Figured it out. The crank that I got in the reman already has a key set in it. Upside down. I pulled the woodruff I got out of the harmonic box that I bought and it matches the length width of the upside down one in there already. I knew the crank had a ridge on it. Will take pics and show you the confusion later. Will edit this post and make it clear with previous posts why this is so confusing with FSM and Haynes.

Unread 01-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #85
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

OK. After a few days off for medical appts and waiting for the spring and pin as listed above, we got it on today!

First I soaked the pin and spring in some Engine Oil Supplement rich in zinc. I guess that helps. Then after soaking them, I dumped them onto the cover right where the wear spot was from the cam rubbing on it. Figured that would help.

Pic 1 is the soak, 2 is the wear spot on the cover. next is the pile of ooze.

Then I installed the pin and spring in the bolt on the Cam. This seemed like a physics problem until all the parts were here. I was worried about it. The spring DOES NOT launch the pin across the room and DOES allow cover to be placed without a stunt.

Next I threw the oil slinger back on there.

and then got the gasket on the cover and gave it a paper thin layer of red RTV on both sites and installed.

After the cover was on and torqued to 60 Inch Pounds, we greased the shaft a little and regreased the round black seal on the timing cover and applied the harmonic balancer over the woodruff keyway. Using an installer is the only way to go here so you don't mess up the shaft, cover, or balancer.

The crank shaft loves to turn when you go for the 80 ftlbs on the bolt, so I installed some grade 8 bolts in the balancer and used a pry bar to hold it while I torqued to 80 Ft Lbs.

I wrote this up with a lot of detail because I could hardly find a good write up on the pin and spring and I wanted to help somehow.

Last edited by hotelconucc93; 02-14-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #86
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

While I am at it. The hose that comes out of the water pump was stuck and cracked. I did a quickie repair and cleaned it up. Come to find out YOU CAN get a replacement. See YJ FAQ Water Pump Tutorial thread. I was posting there and some one found a link with a vendor for that part. Amazing.

See bottom of this linked thread. This part is not made anymore or carried by jeep dealers. Appears Dorman and RockAuto have it. Even Mean Max was not aware!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...torial-893428/

Unread 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #87
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates??? It looking good, can't wait to see what you have planned for the rest of the jeep.

Shoot straight.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #88
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Only update was that I was waiting for an oil pick up tube install tool from 4d for the last few months...and finally got sick of waiting and got from Jegs in three days flat. Oil pan and pump/pick up are installed and engine goes in tomorrow.

Unread 02-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #89
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Today the youngest son and I braved the cold of the garage, and certain insanity by putting the engine back on the chassis.

First he did some additions to the block to get it ready for the motor mounts.

Then he installed the cross bolts in the mounts...we delete here several minutes of bloody palms because I wasn't wearing gloves and got pinched in metal, swearing, vodka shots to kill the pain, and almost dropping the engine when aligning the bolts.

Next, we had a few beers and watched a Danica Patrick NASCAR interview. Later, we put the fly wheel on the motor and torqued to 50 FT LB and then did the required additional 60 degree bolt turn on the fresh bolts. Also, we added locktite.

We used a pry bar on the fly wheel to keep it from turning.

The splash plate for the bell housing was installed, even though you don't see it here. It went on afterwards, relatively easy and painless.

Last edited by hotelconucc93; 02-14-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #90
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Pilot Bushings can be fun!

Today after soaking my pilot bushing (made of oilite bronze) in 5w-30 for the past few days I decided to go for an install.

After a lot of reading and talking on the phone with others, I went at it.

I got it started with a small finish hammer and a rubber mallet, and soon found that it was starting to dent a tiny amount. I started to use a socket as a punch to push it in, and that started to scratch it. Then it hit me from something I read once. Wood!

I took a painting roller wood handle. The type found in lowes, HD, etc in the cheap $4 roller and pan kits, and cut off a few inches.

Then I inserted it in the bushing where it fit PERFECTLY.

In this photo, I illistrate the place where it goes, but the bushing you see is already seated.

A few hits of a BFH and the wood took ALL the damage and seated it even.

Today I had to order axle seals, as the front pumpkin stated to leak right after tie rod install. Oh Joy.

Tags
8.8 , atlas , bed liner , nv3550 , por15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.